Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Power Pak I Pump is making loud ringing noise, fixable?

1. Back To Top    #1

Power Pak I Pump is making loud ringing noise, fixable?

Hello all!

I have a Power Pak I Pump that I have had since I purchased my pool nearly ten yrs ago. Its working fine, but occasionally it has been giving off a high pitched ring that is almost intolerable to the ear. Is there a way to correct this problem, or is it a sign of the end? If it makes any difference I have a 5,000 gal. above ground. ANY help is appreciated!!
    Chicago, IL- Pool Open from Mid May through September.
    5,000 Above Ground, Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter, Power Pak I Pump
    Been in operation for 10 Years.
    Baquacil User

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Power Pak I Pump is making loud ringing noise, fixable?

I'm not there so I am not sure what might be causing the screeching. It sounds like a bad bearing. There is one in the electric motor that may be going bad. If that's the cause, I would buy a new pump as it is likely not worth fixing the old one due to it's age.

If you're handy you can try disassembling the unit and checking it out- this particular pump only has six screws holding the case together and then you're right at the motor. I have one of about the same age and so far the timer circuit has given up and it weeps a little at the impeller. It has been getting noisier each year. But it works, so until it quits or leaks excessively I'll keep using it.
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Power Pak I Pump is making loud ringing noise, fixable?

It sounds like a bearing and if that's all it is it might be worth a try to replace them. Replacing bearings, seal & o-rings is not too bad a job if you're handy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit