Best Method to prevent Wrinkles in the Vinyl

May 26, 2010
Gilbertsville PA
I have heard using a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out between the steel wall and the liner by passing the hose thru the skimmer opening.
You suck the air out then fill the pool with a couple inches of water then you can turn the vacuum off.
You then pull the liner sides up to remove the wrinkles. Then assemble the top of the pool.
I have also heard you leave the vacuum on and just pull the hose out as the water rises. This could take many hours when you are filling with a garden hose. I would assume the top rails must be on before you get much water in the pool.

I was reading some other posts that indicate the liner could stretch a lot (10"). Should I pull the liner tight when I secure it to the top rail when there is 6 " of water in it (I have an overlap style)?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

When they installed by pool, they made sure that the sand was level and smoth. Then they hung the liner and made sure that it was straight and the bottom was smooth with no creases. Then they added a small about of water and made adjustments to the top.

I have read on many sites including TFP that an AGP will never have a completely smooth bottom. Mine has one small crease and the bottom has some indentions.

You could also check out a product called a Happy Bottom.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Our AG pool has some creases in the liner--a couple on the bottom and on the wall in one particular area. We hired an installer; if we had been at home when the liner was put in we could have asked for the creases to be pulled out, if possible. But, it's really no big deal. If you are scrutinizing (as an owner will and should), you are aware of them. But, other people don't care at all and now we don't even notice them ourselves. I think it would be nearly impossible to not have any creases at all.

There are different methods used by different people and installers to hang a liner. One includes draping it centered straight and flat over the pool top and adding a few inches of water then lowering it and adjusting as more water. Is added. Its much easier to adjust the overlap liners than beaded/unibead as ours are seamed to fit. A pad under the liner gives a much nicer and smoother surface to work with and helps avoid spots where creases and wrinkles can start. Dropping the liner on a warm SUNNY day makes a hug difference between a stubborn liner and one that is as pliable as butter. Good luck!

There's a post or two here about using a toilet plunger (new of course :) ) to work the wrinkles out of a liner. I have a few that I'm going to try it on but feel free to try it and let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the advise. I installed the liner and achieved no wrinkles on the walls and 2 small ones on the floor. The vacuum cleaner did work. I tried the vacuum without installing the top rails and it would suck the walls in. I then installed the top rail and turned the vacuum on and off since the liner would seal the vacuum hose off after 1 minute.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.