Bleach Conversion PLEASE HELP!!

May 25, 2010
I started my conversion on saturday and have added alot of bleach but my pool is still very green you can bearley see the bottom. My FC seems to holding above 15 and my CC are 3. My PH is good (i think)I have some dubrie on the bottom. What can i be doing wrong? I am so discouraged!

Hi and welcome -
are you running the filter 24/7? What are you testing with...
How often are you testing and adding bleach?

Depending on what your Baq numbers were when you started - it can take a long time...I know it's frustrating but try not to be discouraged.
Any chance you can post a pic of the green water? (Use Photobucket.com)

Hang in there, have some POP.... :)

Welcome to TFP :wave:
Did you fully read the article on Bac to Chlorine conversion? It can take from a few days to a few weeks depending on how you work at it.
Don't give up.
If you have organic stuff on the bottom you're going to have to scoop that out because it'll slow down the process a lot.
Look through a few of bac conversion threads and you'll get a feel for how it goes and how they compare to yours.

Hi and thank you very much, I have the TF-100 and have been running my filter 24/7, I have been adding bleach at night and testing in the morning and yesterday it held overnite at 15 (i hope i am doing it right) I took my water to the pool store before i started and my Baq numbers was 13 for the sanitizer. I have almost lost count of the bleach i have put in the pool (26? bottles at 182oz)

A full set of water test results might help us determine what is going on. In the mean time, how is the filter doing? Have you been backwashing/cleaning the filter as needed? How has the filter pressure been behaving?

Well the more often you test and add bleach the quicker the conversion will go. :)
No, the CC is just the Baq being consumed. I think it's green because you aren't adding as often as you can - if I'm understanding correctly you are only doing it in the evening? How many times are you checking and adding?

I will test my water again now, do you need FC, CC, PH, TA? . I have backwashed at least 2 times a day. and i think my pressure is fine. all the stuff is in the middle of the pool and i keep trying to vacum it out . yes i have only been adding only at night was at work during the day last day was yesterday(work for schools) home during day now but i am leaving for the weekend, thought i would be finished by now, how is this going the affect me now?

frustratedpoolmom, billandkim said FC held at 15 overnight. That suggests that any algae is dead.

billandkim, yes: FC, CC PH, TA are all good. CH and CYA would also be interesting if you can. Something a little strange is going on because the pool is normally clear well before the FC level holds overnight. But it probably isn't going to be a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming you had algae before the conversion began, I suspect that algae is all dead at this point and the water is not clearing up because there is something wrong with your filter.

What kind of filter do you have? How has the filter pressure been behaving? Have you been cleaning/backwashing the filter?

thats the only thing i can think of, i have been backwashing, i did not find this site till i already started, we first changed the sand and then started the conversion. if i have a strong return flow is it going throw the sand? might we have put the filter back together wrong. my psi gage is not working i called the pool store they said if i had a strong return flow i was good. i live about 40mi away for the store and have not got one get, but will soon.

Just buy a new gauge at a farm store. Just be sure to get the 0-60PSI and not the 0-120PSI. They are cheaper there, and the numbers are usually bigger.

what about the filter, if i have a strong return flow is it going though the sand or could we have put it back together wrong? it not filtering right is the only thing i can think of. How are my numbers?

There are ways that the filter could be broken so that water is bypassing the sand, but they are fairly rare. I would be more suspicious of your main valve. It is comparatively easy for that to break or just be set in the wrong position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.