Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I wonder what the neighbours think...

1. Back To Top    #1

I wonder what the neighbours think...

I'm on my second day/cycle of lowering TA and then aerating the PH back up.

I've got the eyeball pointing up, creating a big loud obnoxious splash fountain, but it works really good to raise my PH from 7.1 back up to 7.5 Hee hee

I wonder if my neighbours think I've gone crazy and this is new water feature they have to put up with all summer.
    21' 54" Round AG, 10K gallons,1HP 2 speed pump, Sand filter 200lb
    Have had a sparkling BBB pool all summer....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I wonder what the neighbours think...

Non pool people all think we are nuts anyways
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

NWMN--yep you are right...

"Are you sure it's safe to swim in bleach water?"

while I explain it...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Not to mention all the vile poisonous noxious acid you're putting in your pool! And you let your children swim in that?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

When people hear the word, "acid", for instance, what typically comes to mind, for most people, are strong acids like sulfuric acid. A lot of household products, used by millions of people, cause much more damage and deaths than MA. Shoot, the citric acid in many soda drinks and fountain drinks probably causes more damage, "injury", to tooth enamel, en total, to masses of people, than any damage, "injury" done by muriatic acid.

How many children and pets are seriously injured or killed by common toilet cleaners each year? I've gotten more skin burns from 15%-20% distilled white vinegar used to kill weeds. I've never gotten a burn from MA.

Sometimes, in winter, our city tap water has so much chlorine in it I have to stand away a bit when filling animal water buckets.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    ...When people hear the word, "acid"...
    Along the same lines, I love the concept of a chemical free pool. Last time I checked H2O was a chemical...along with every other speck of matter in the universe!!
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    ...When people hear the word, "acid"...
    Along the same lines, I love the concept of a chemical free pool. Last time I checked H2O was a chemical...along with every other speck of matter in the universe!!
    Take a look at this riddle. My DH loves to "get" people with it. DH goes into much greater detail of the deadly effects .

http://www.math.psu.edu/tseng/H2Ojoke.html
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

It's like a secret society. I see all the other people out at night brushing and adjusting their pools. I'm still a noob so I'm out there every night messing with something.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1
    It's like a secret society. I see all the other people out at night brushing and adjusting their pools. I'm still a noob so I'm out there every night messing with something.
    Yeah And most of us, who practice TPF methods, spend a whole lot more time "looking" like we are working on the pool than actually working on it.

Many people find it relaxing to brush the pool ; even those of us with bad backs, elbows, wrists, and shoulders.

gg=alice

10. Back To Top    #10

It IS our secret society!

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Not to mention all the vile poisonous noxious acid you're putting in your pool! And you let your children swim in that?
    SURE!! Hydroxic acid is great for washing dirt off the kids, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

There is something very cool about telling people......yeah I just put some acid in this morning and now I have to make lots of bubbles to make the pool better.

I personally love the secret society MA outfit: shorts and tank top, sunglasses on (can never find safety glasses), gardening gloves on (I don't know..makes me feel better) and my thickest winter scarf tied around my mouth. I must look ridiculous!!!
    21' 54" Round AG, 10K gallons,1HP 2 speed pump, Sand filter 200lb
    Have had a sparkling BBB pool all summer....

13. Back To Top    #13

You're pouring what, BLEACH, into that pool??? For me, I'm in denial, I hide the bottles of bleach in the barn and pour it into a messuring pitcher and then take that out to the pool so my neighbors will not notice what I am pouring in... Like an Alchaholic in denial, a pool-aholic
    93mastercraft - Aqua Leader Reflexion 21' round 54" high above ground pool. This is not a $399.00 Pool! Wedding cake steps, Haywood 1.5 pump/sand filter. If I'd thought taking care of a pool was this easy, I'd owned one a long time ago!