Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: increese PH

1. Back To Top    #1

72 increese PH

current ph is 7.2 goal is 7.5-7.8 TA is 70 goal is 100. Borates 0 CH 150 CYA 90(I know it's high)

I want to add Borax based on the pool calc. 51OZ borax. This will also bring the TA up am i correct?

Will the Borax alone(- the acid) make the water softer? or is it a combination of both. i have some coper piping that an a little Leary of if i add acid?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Kidney painted concrete pool; Hayward super pump, Hayward pro Grid 3620 DE filter(using Fiber Clear). No Heater. 250 gallon stand alone Jacuzzi hot tub .

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: increese PH

Borax will raise your pH and will have little, if any, affect on your TA.

Baking soda will raise your TA and have little affect on your pH

I would leave the TA and pH alone in your pool. Most pools have a natural tendency for pH to rise so, over time, I believe your numbers will both come up around your target by themselves. They are already in a "normal" range....just at the lower end of normal.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: increese PH

If your PH doesn't come up on it's own in a few weeks, go ahead and add the borax - what affect it has on the TA won't matter you'll still be in range. Borax won't affect your copper pipes, however extended periods of low ph might.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner