Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC loss

1. Back To Top    #1

FC loss

Does FC drop faster when you are at high (shock) levels than when you are at normal (maintanence) levels?
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC loss

I find it does, but it could be because I've always shocked when I had lots of organics built up.

On an unrelated note, I used to live in Dexter right on Baker Street. I was there during the Dexter Days Blaze
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

3. Back To Top    #3

FC loss due to sunlight is a percentage of your starting FC level, so yes higher starting FC levels means more FC lost to sunlight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason. I was thinking it was a percentage of total rather than stricly a straight scale.
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

5. Back To Top    #5

Most sources of chlorine loss have it be a percentage of chlorine that is lost. There are some exceptions where the chlorine reacts very quickly in which case the amount of consumption is more related to how much there is to which chlorine reacts. So our overnight FC loss rule in theory should allow for higher losses if the shock level is very high (not the FC level, but the FC/CYA ratio), but in practice the <= 1 ppm FC drop overnight is reasonable as a simple rule.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Am I understanding that since I was at a 23 level and dropped to 21 (CYA 70) overnight that I may not actually have a problem? I may be misinterpreting what was said, but before I go dumping a bunch more bleach in the pool I would like to make sure it is needed.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you measured 23 after the sun was completely off the pool, and 21 before the sun hit the pool at all, then yes you should continue shocking.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden