Does SWG work with CYA of 30

P

PatG25

After opening my pool and refilling it I got my salt reading to 3400 and CYA to about 30. Other readings look fine. I turned my Comfort-Chlor and set it to 50%. Will the SWG actually generate Chlorine at the lower CYA level? Does turning it up compensate until I get the CYA up. Using the sock method seems to take some time.

On a related note; yesterday I put in 1 gallon of liquid chlorine. Today I did a check (it was in the mid 90s here today) using Leslie's Complete DPD test kit (not the FAS-DPD) and got a reading of about 1-2 FC. That thing is hard to read, so I already ordered the FAS-DPD kit. I then used the OTO kit I had from last year and got a reading of 5+ of FC. The test kit went from yellow to brown indicating high levels of chlorine. Why would there be such a huge difference?

The SWCG will generate chlorine just fine with low CYA, but the sun will consume it rapidly. You may need to give it some assistance with liquid chlorine until the CYA gets into the act.

PatG25 said:
On a related note; yesterday I put in 1 gallon of liquid chlorine. Today I did a check (it was in the mid 90s here today) using Leslie's Complete DPD test kit (not the FAS-DPD) and got a reading of about 1-2 FC. That thing is hard to read, so I already ordered the FAS-DPD kit. I then used the OTO kit I had from last year and got a reading of 5+ of FC. The test kit went from yellow to brown indicating high levels of chlorine. Why would there be such a huge difference?

That could be indicating a high CC. Or there could have been an issue from one of the tests - reagents gone bad? IDK...

The DPD kit - did you test just FC or did you also do the CC portion?

Well, I tested with the FAS-DPD kit I got in the mail on Saturday. FC is at 0.5; CC is 0. That's with the SWG running right now at 50%. I cranked it up to 65% and started adding more stabilizer to the water to bring that level up to 60. In the meantime I will add chlorine manually until I see that the CYA is higher and that the SWG can keep up.

However, even with the FC at only 0.5 the pool did look great.

Hey Pat...welcome to TFP. You're on the right track. If your water is clear and CC is low, keep the FC up w/ bleach and raise that CYA to somewhere around 60-70...that should help your SWG keep pace w/ chlorine demand.

At 0.5FC, it won't stay clear very long...wise choice :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.