Weird pump issue

May 26, 2010
Hi all,

I have an inground 24,000 gallon pool and spa with a Jandy DE filter and Jandy HHP pump. Here's the issue:

After I cleaned out the pump pot basket yesterday and turned the filter back on, the pump has been making a loud chugging noise. In addition, the air release valve is shaking along with some of the pipes. The pressure gauge remains steady at 8-10 (although the gauge is shaking too). The noise and the shaking decreases if I do any of the following:

- open the air release valve
OR
- turn off the Spa Suction (gauge shoots up to 20)

I'm not sure if I have a pump issue OR if it has something to do with the pump pot basket. I noticed that the top piece of the basket is hanging by a thread and the issue started when I emptied it and put in back in.

I backwashed 3 times and it did not solve the issue.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Paul

The loud chugging noise is most likely the pump getting air into the suction. Is there air in the pump suction strainer basket housing?
Is the weir (flapper door) in the skimmer working correctly? Make sure it's not sticking or hung up.
I suspect the skimmer is creating a vortex and sucking air in causing the symptoms you describe. If the skimmer basket is broken you need to replace it.

I apologize. I issue is with the pump pot basket, not the skimmer basket. The top part is a bit shredded. I was thinking that air in the pump section strainer might be the issue since there doesnt appear to be a full prime. The weird thing is that I do get a full prime and issue vanishes if I switch off the spa suction.

Sounds like you're getting air from the spa suction. It's either a leak or the spa suction is sucking air from the surface. You can have air leak into the system without water leaking out. It's that whole negative pressure thingy. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.