Mama B's Intex Pool

May 15, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I am nervous, too! My husband is taking care of the installation of our new Intex Ultra Frame 16ft x 48 in pool. But, I am the one responsible for the water chemistry! After having read a lot, I chose to sell the dinky Intex 1500 gph pump and bought an Intex 2500 gph pump. Sold the dinky one for $70 and paid $99 for the larger. Bought a 12 ml solar cover. Going to buy an extra tarp in addition to the one provided by Intex. I am not especially concerned with "floor" comfort, but want to make sure we don't have a problem with weeds etc. So, the sod is gone, we level tomorrow (using the carpenter level and 2 X 4 method) and install recessed patio pavers for under the legs/assemble pool/fill this weekend.

I have read the article in Pool School for temporary pools and have decided that I would really like to go the BBB route. I am the kind of gal that wants things spelled out as easily as possible. I know I will get the hang of it eventually. What I am confused about, when I went looking at pool shock (dichlor), there are several kinds--1 with copper and 1 without. I also thought it was supposed to have cyanuric acid in it but it is not listed? Also, I know how nice it would be to have an expensive test kit, but is a 6 way HTH kit ok for my size pool--at least for now?

Ok people, how am I doing? Any other advice for this very nervouse woman?

Re: Intex Newbie with a few Questions

Dichlor does have CYA in it, it's not listed on the label but if you buy Dichlor, it's in there. You are looking for "sodium dichlor-s-triazinetrione"

You don't want copper in your pool. If you can't find the Dichlor without copper, then just buy CYA/Stabilizer separately.

Yes, you can manage with the 6-way drop test kit. Where you may have a problem is if any issues develop, like cloudy or green water - then the kit might not be enough. But honestly if that kind of problem developed, because of the type of pump/filter - you would likely be better off draining and refilling anyway.

Does the box list your exact gallonage? I suspect somewhere around 5,000-5,500 gallons?

cmbutterbaugh said:
Ok people, how am I doing? Any other advice for this very nervouse woman?
You're doing fine. Now sit back and say, this is going to be easy.
Once you start taking care of it you'll wonder what all the stress was about.

I highly recommend you take a look at the TF-50 test kit. You'll be surprised how much better it is.

I just got finished leveling my pool and here is my advise....... (if you care :lol: )

I tried line levels. I bought a 2 pack at the hardware store and worked to level the pool. Then for some reason i put both levels on the line side by side and they both were different.... I tried the 2x4 thing but it didn't seem to go very well.

Here's what i did and it was better than any other way I tried:

I built a water level:

*25ft section of 1/2" vinyl tubing from Home DeP@T
*Red food coloring
* 2 posts to tap in the ground ( I used 1/2" rebar)
* clamps (paper clamps or similar
* 5 gallon bucket

1) Fill up the bucket half way with water and add a bunch of food coloring
2) Tap one post into the center of the pool diameter.
3) Tap one of the post into the ground near your outer most section of where the pool it.
4) Siphon water from your bucket into the hose as to fill it witht he "red water". Be sure to allow about a foot on both ends with no water in it.
5) Clamp the hose to the center post in a way that it will not fall or move. ( I used the extra large binder clips to hold the tube in place.
6) Clamp the hose to the outer post.
7) Adjust the hose on each end to get the water about half way up the post.
8) Measure the distance from the ground to the water line in teh center (example 10")
9) Measure the distance from the ground to the water line at the other post (example 9")
10) Subtract the measurement ( = 1" ). The lower number is the HIGH side. now you know you need to dig 1" at that point.

I used this to find the low spot for my pool base. Then I located the center of the diameter of the pool and put the post there. I dug down to make it level in about a 3' diameter around the center post. Spray painted the diameter of the pool + 18". Dug and leveled the outer diameter, I kept moving the outer post and leveling avery few feet (I also used a smaller 2x4 and level) to doublecheck myself). I then dug out / tilled the center to level....

Placing the paved for the feet i was able to set the first block and use it from block to block to make sure my height was correct all the way around.

Hope this help (someone) anyway......

Dichlor

The only pool shock I am able to find are the 1# bags that are labelled "Shock" or "Shock Plus" and are just calcium hypochlorite (Target, Walmart) Do I need to go to a pool store for the the dichlor type of shock? Thank You for all your advice and support!

Yes - a pool store or sometimes Lowes, home depot, etc have Dichlor.
Otherwise you could go the CYA/Stabilizer route - though the big jug will last you a long time...
Sometimes they have small 1-2 lb cannisters of dichlor powder labeled for "spa" use...you may have to read all the ingredient labels to find the right product...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.