My first TF-100 test profile...how'm I doin??

Bob47

May 22, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Hi gang,

I finally got my TF-100 kit and did my first set of tests. Can you tell me if I'm OK?

FC = 3.5
CC = 0
TC = 3.5
PH = 7.2
TA = 150
CH = 100
CYA = 50
Temp = 82F

The water is clear, but not "sparkly." I had been using TriChlor tabs since getting the pool in 2008 and stopped 2 weeks ago after finding this great site and was worried my CYA would be too high. Tested that twice to be sure.

No CC means I've killed all the algae and other biological junk, right?

Reading the instructions for the test kit I almost didn't do the calcium test because it said that's mainly for plaster/cement pools. I didn't expect any significant calcium reading and did it twice. Is 100 too high?

I'm going to go BBB once I exhaust the 12% shock liquid I have on hand. Any advice how much I should use to regularly dose or do I need to do an overnight FC loss test first?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Your FC level is a little low, which is probably what is causing the slight cloudiness. With CYA at 50, the recommended FC level is between 4 and 8, and never below 4.

Your TA is a little high, but probably won't cause any problems. If you find that the PH drifts up annoyingly fast, try lowering the TA. Otherwise, you can leave it where it is.

CC can be zero even when you have a major algae bloom in progress, so you can't really use CC to tell if things are good or not.

CH 100 is fine for a vinyl pool.

Note that "12% shock liquid" is really just double-strength bleach. It's what I use. If you have a local source of 12% then you should do some price comparison to see whether it's cheaper than regular 6% bleach. (Complexified because 12% comes in gallons while 6% comes in 96-oz or 182-oz jugs; post back if you want help with the math.)

How much you need each day is something you'll have to work out by trial and error; each pool is different. Also the amount will vary a bit, depending on how much sun you get and how much you use the pool.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.