Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first TF-100 test profile...how'm I doin??

1. Back To Top    #1

My first TF-100 test profile...how'm I doin??

Hi gang,

I finally got my TF-100 kit and did my first set of tests. Can you tell me if I'm OK?

FC = 3.5
    CC = 0
    TC = 3.5
    PH = 7.2
    TA = 150
    CH = 100
    CYA = 50
    Temp = 82F

The water is clear, but not "sparkly." I had been using TriChlor tabs since getting the pool in 2008 and stopped 2 weeks ago after finding this great site and was worried my CYA would be too high. Tested that twice to be sure.

No CC means I've killed all the algae and other biological junk, right?

Reading the instructions for the test kit I almost didn't do the calcium test because it said that's mainly for plaster/cement pools. I didn't expect any significant calcium reading and did it twice. Is 100 too high?

I'm going to go BBB once I exhaust the 12% shock liquid I have on hand. Any advice how much I should use to regularly dose or do I need to do an overnight FC loss test first?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Bob
    Baltimore, MD
    5300 Gal, 15' Round AG, Vinyl, 1.5hp pump, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My first TF-100 test profile...how'm I doin??

Your FC level is a little low, which is probably what is causing the slight cloudiness. With CYA at 50, the recommended FC level is between 4 and 8, and never below 4.

Your TA is a little high, but probably won't cause any problems. If you find that the PH drifts up annoyingly fast, try lowering the TA. Otherwise, you can leave it where it is.

CC can be zero even when you have a major algae bloom in progress, so you can't really use CC to tell if things are good or not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

CH 100 is fine for a vinyl pool.

Note that "12% shock liquid" is really just double-strength bleach. It's what I use. If you have a local source of 12% then you should do some price comparison to see whether it's cheaper than regular 6% bleach. (Complexified because 12% comes in gallons while 6% comes in 96-oz or 182-oz jugs; post back if you want help with the math.)

How much you need each day is something you'll have to work out by trial and error; each pool is different. Also the amount will vary a bit, depending on how much sun you get and how much you use the pool.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

i just ordered my tf-100 kit today, they already shipped it. and i cant wait. i do my first opening on friday.
    20x40 IG vinyl, grecian style, 32.5k gal, hayward ec75a perflex d.e. hayward super pump 1 hp 80 gpm, 8 hr 38k gal turnaround

5. Back To Top    #5

Good luck erock! It works great! My son & I are doing it together. Good chemistry lesson.

Thanks to Paul and Jason for the advice! It helps. Now I feel like I'm in control for a change!!

Pool Calculator, here I come!!
    Bob
    Baltimore, MD
    5300 Gal, 15' Round AG, Vinyl, 1.5hp pump, Cartridge Filter