converting to chlorine

Apr 29, 2010
New Jersey
My pool store has me using a non chlorine oxidizer to get the baquacil level down before switching to chlorine and changing the sand. The ph is 7.2 total alkalinity 110 calcium 200 Biguanid 2.0. It is 25,000 inground pool with vinyl filter. They said it can take 4 - 6 weeks before we can start using chlorine. They said we can swim in it while using the non chlorine oxidizer. Is there a faster way to convert. Also the deep end is so green you can't see anything. What can I use to get rid of it? Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

We have a writeup of the steps to convert from baquacil to chlorine and many people here that would be happy to help you every step of the way.

Our conversion approach takes one to three weeks, depending on how much time you have to devote to it, and you can not swim during the conversion. We use bleach/liquid chlorine for the conversion, instead of non-chlorine oxidizer because it is less expensive.

Follow the directions that Jason recommended. I converted last year using those instructions precisely, it took about a week using liquid chlorine and my pool has been crystal clear ever since. Trust this sites write up. It is cheaper and faster than the pool store's method, and you won't be dumping anything in your pool that you do not need, including extra money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.