Tryin' to get wet...

TFP_wanna_be

Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2010
Orlando, FL
Hi… So I am new here and not sure why it took so long for me to find a home with like minded folks seeking clean and refreshing swimming pools!!! This has been a wonderful find!!!

My story…. Trying to open my pool this season that was left for dead without circulation for 3-4months… The water is 3yrs old and the pool is IG paint over marcite w/1.5 pump (running 24/7), 36sq ft DE filter and in-line auto chlorinator and Polaris 380.
Over the last two-weeks I’ve broke the bank in retail stores trying to swim and haven’t got my ankles wet yet… After replacing every oring and gasket known to man, buying tons of chems, and loosing sleep – the pool is still unusable. In the last week, I’ve added tons of prescribed chems and here is my status as of today:

TC:0 FC:0 PH:7 AKLINITY:100 HARDNESS: 200 STAB: 80 TOTAL DISVLD SOLIDS: 2000

Pool pro says I don’t have any CL… So I was out of 3” tabs, I bought 25lbs (says they hold much better than liquid and I need that to help fight off algae and get my CL in the positive) No harm, I needed $75 worth any way ;-) .
He also says to forget about the other results, since the PH is low, to dump 4-X-2.5 gals of liquid CL in the pool soonest… I did that today.
I went to wal-mart and the bleach was 6% and would actually cost more that my refills at $4.75 – dollar store may be another story….
I’ve been testing with a CHEAP kit and need to get a real kit – if I can past this CL hurdle, that will be my reward, I quality test kit. SO, I feel like I am in over my head – but my feet are still dry…
Feedback is welcome and I’ll keep this up to date… THANK YOU!!!

Well, getting past this CL hurdle will be a lot easier with a good test kit. Maybe an early present for yourself? Have you been reading pool school (button at upper right of page)? That's a good place to start, especially "how to shock your pool".

Your main problem is high CYA, so your first action (before adding anything) should be to do a partial drain of your pool. You want to get the CYA down to 40-50, so a 50% drain would do it (assuming that the 90 CYA number is correct). After that, you'll need to shock the pool using liquid chlorine; sounds like you are able to get it for a good price!

Your pool won't hold chlorine because something is consuming it. Tablets can't add chlorine fast enough to be useful in this case, plus they add CYA.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Hopefully we'll change that "wanna be" to a "are one" before long.

First thing we need to know to help you is your equipment info. Pool size and type, pump, filter, and anything else you can provide.
You're going to need to shock your pool and to do a decent shock you're going to need a good test kit.
Without knowing the size of your pool I have no idea how many ppm of chlorine you added.
With your stabilizer at 80ppm you're going to need a lot of chlorine.

I seriously recommend that you get the test kit now.

While you're waiting you should read Pool School especially the part on how to shock your pool.

The experts will weigh in soon, but getting a good test kit (the Taylor K-2006 or TF-100) will likely make your battle to get FC to hold much easier. Since your water is cloudy and you have no FC, you likely have algae trying to grow. With stabilizer at 80ppm, your shock level is 21ppm. I didn't see your pool dimensions, so I'm not sure what the chlorine you added did, but if it's not all used up, it's definitely not what it was when you put it in.

You may want to read this article on defeating algae. You're going to need to keep your chlorine at shock level until 1) your overnight FC loss is 0; 2) your CC is less than 0.5 or 3) your water is sparkly clear. This is going to be MUCH easier with a good quality test kit. If that's not an option now, there are some suggestions for getting started with pool store results or other test kits.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions. Pool School is an awesome place to start!!

(Seems like the experts started to arrive before I got this posted. You're in good hands.)

thanks!! Okay - so I'm ready to get the / a good test kit... Time is money, like the $100 spent today on fun stuff ;-)

A little more...
Pump: 1.5 pentair w/1.5 PVC piping
Filter: Hward say DE420L on it - has filter grids. Took filter apart tonight, changed o-ring on manifold back at 25 psi in 1 hour... ;-(
Pool: I'm told its 20K gallons [32X15 3ft shallow and 8.5ft deep]

get ready to laugh - no really... the reason the stab is at 80ppm is because my cheap-o test kit and book told me that the chlorine would not work with low stab levels, gets better... at 1am I went to walmart and bought 6lbs to increse the levels are to NOT waste the 8lbs of 99% shock that night and the 7.5 gals of liquid chlorine from 2 days ago...

I'm open to a drain, BUT, my water source is a raw well... Its my irragation well, unless there is a HUGE 'no-no', I've been using my irragation well... Come to think of it - the pool has never been the same since I used the well to top off etc, but no water tests have ever indicated that the water was odd or otherwise... I dont drink it, but my grass does... ;-)

I'm off to Pool School...!!!

WOW.... I'm such a consumer ;-)

I dont feel too bad about the CYA levels since is a balance, but i was thinking the CYA would cover my shock efforts - I didnt want to waste that $$$... The wife is already wanting to 'fill it in'... :blah:

Over the last week or so:
30lbs of Alk UP
5 lbs soda ash
$45 algcide
12-15 2.5 gal of liq chlor
8lbs of power shock (99%)
6lbs of stab
and of course DE

My pool pros and cheap tester had me going to the pool store more than one can imagine... Knowing what I've done and where I am, I wonder if I should drain to lower the stabilizer[?]

Today I added (4) 2.5 jugs - lets see what that gets me...

My pool is in direct FL sun...

Since I'm having a little fun now - I went and did another cheapie test...
added 10gals of chlor at 6pm & clean DE filter grids
5 hrs later...
Harness: 200 (same)
TC: 5 (up from zero)
FC: 10 (up from zero)
pH: 6.2 (down from 7)
Alk: 80 (down from 100)
CYA: 0 (down from 80) from what I've read, I'm not mixing bones over this reading... I'll hang my hat on a real test kit...

Again, that is the cheapie - I hope to score a quality test kit by noon on Thursday

TFP_wanna_be said:
My pool is in direct FL sun...

Since I'm having a little fun now - I went and did another cheapie test...
added 10gals of chlor at 6pm & clean DE filter grids
5 hrs later...
Harness: 200 (same)
TC: 5 (up from zero)
FC: 10 (up from zero)
pH: 6.2 (down from 7)
Alk: 80 (down from 100)
CYA: 0 (down from 80) from what I've read, I'm not mixing bones over this reading... I'll hang my hat on a real test kit...

Again, that is the cheapie - I hope to score a quality test kit by noon on Thursday

one more thing... The polaris is catching sand, not leaves etc... I hope that means I'm moving passed the hidden leaves eating my chlor...

Stop...deep breath...Welcome to TFP. Stop wasting money on chems you do not need. Order a good test kit tonight. TF100 from Tftestkits.net or the Taylor k2006

Your PH is too low, but not sure how it dropped from 7 to 6.2 :scratch: Have you added PH down or Muratic acid? If 6.2 is accurate, you need to raise it to at least 7.2 now.

Then, while your waiting on the kit, read through all the articles in pool school. When you get your kit, post the following results and we will get you on your way :goodjob:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, let me put in a plug for the TF-100 test kit also. It is the best value out there and most of us use it. That means that any question you have about the tests can be answered by nearly anyone here. Bama Rambler has link to the site in his signature, so look there for the various sizes of kits. If you want to be super cool, get the SpeedStir to go with it.

Nothing else to drop in this pool.... I'm switching to BBB where I can and not looking back. Step one was to skip the pool store on the test kit and I did order the TF100 - opt'd for FedEx from NC to FL should not be that bad....

I skipped on the speedystir... May be when I get a refill and feel like more of a pro - I'll go hitech ;-)

So, until the kit comes I will backwash the filter and keep my water moving while taking my Pool School classes....

I feel like I'm on my way ;-)

TFP_wanna_be said:
Nothing else to drop in this pool.... I'm switching to BBB where I can and not looking back. Step one was to skip the pool store on the test kit and I did order the TF100 - opt'd for FedEx from NC to FL should not be that bad....

I skipped on the speedystir... May be when I get a refill and feel like more of a pro - I'll go hitech ;-)

So, until the kit comes I will backwash the filter and keep my water moving while taking my Pool School classes....

I feel like I'm on my way ;-)

I would actually recommend the speedystir. This will make your testing so much easier, especially on the ones were you have to use a bunch of drops. Swirling in your hand does not seem to get it mixed as well as the speedystir. I wish I would have had it when I started out. It will make sure your test get mixed a lot better than by hand. I highly recommend one and I am sure others will as well. It is not a matter of going hi tech, but making your testing easier.

I see your point on the Speedystir... I didnt know about it when I placed the order and I'm just a tad gun-shy right now... I've been back & forth and paying stupid tax the whole way. Funny how when I asked to buy a test kit at Leslies they sold me a cheap-o... DUH!! Theres no blame, just part of the program. Truth be known, the kit had a guide that gave me the insight to google chems that landed me 'here'...

Once I get a little momentum, I'll gain confidence and do more... To date - I've been getting my rear handed to me :hammer:

I got confirmation of my test kit order and life is getting better... I just turned the Polaris 'free' to run the whole pool - I was keeping him in the deep end where I countnt see the bottom. This AM I could see "Polari" sitting on the bottom on the deep end.

TFP_wanna_be said:
I see your point on the Speedystir... I didnt know about it when I placed the order and I'm just a tad gun-shy right now... I've been back & forth and paying stupid tax the whole way. Funny how when I asked to buy a test kit at Leslies they sold me a cheap-o... DUH!! Theres no blame, just part of the program. Truth be known, the kit had a guide that gave me the insight to google chems that landed me 'here'...

Once I get a little momentum, I'll gain confidence and do more... To date - I've been getting my rear handed to me :hammer:

I got confirmation of my test kit order and life is getting better... I just turned the Polaris 'free' to run the whole pool - I was keeping him in the deep end where I countnt see the bottom. This AM I could see "Polari" sitting on the bottom on the deep end.

If you can afford to get it, I would get it. I actually enjoy doing my testing now and I even made a spot for it in my test kit so it is always at my fingertips when I am testing. I would almost say it is a better investment than my test kit, but without my test kit I could not use it so it is right behind the test kit. I am sure if you ordered it today you could get them at the same time. Once you get the kit, it will have step by step instructions on how to do each test. If you need help then you have TFP.

SOLD - I'll call them right now... Ship for one price and I'll do it...

Update: My shipping from NC to FL was the same single cost when purchased on a combined order - they had my order up and modified in minutes.... I'm off the store to get a lab-coat and goggles!!!

TFP_wanna_be said:
SOLD - I'll call them right now... Ship for one price and I'll do it...

Update: My shipping from NC to FL was the same single cost when purchased on a combined order - they had my order up and modified in minutes.... I'm off the store to get a lab-coat and goggles!!!

Glad it worked out for you. I am in texas and usually get my stuff in 2-3 days. Being so close hopefully you can get it by the weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.