Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
New member to TFP.
I am switching from Sustain back to chlorine tabs in a Hayward CL 200 in line feeder. If I want to use BBB and use Bleach, do I still use the 3 1/2" tabs in the cholrinator and use bleach to shock or just use the bleach as my main source for chlorine.

Also, just ordered my TF100 test kit. Tired of the frustration I get at the pool store! Different stores give different results and all lead to $$$ of chemicals out the door.

This is a great forum. Thanks, :)

Rich

Hi Rich, welcome....
You can still use tablets, you just have to understand the impact they have on the water chemistry. Once you have your kit you'll have a better understanding of that...
The tablets raise CYA and lower PH and TA. You can read more about how to chlorinate your pool on a daily basis in Pool School. :)

richmgreen said:
After reading the pool school, I am a little concerned. After having my pool water tested at the pool store, they had me add 9 lbs of solid stabelizer to my pool to bring the stabelizer level up ... Now that I am seeing that high CYA is very bad, maybe I should backflush to get some out. Just put it in over the last 2 days. The article says wait a week to get a reading on CYA after adding it. I don't want to wait and see it too high. Your thoughts. CYA was about 10 with FC 0. They also had me add about 8 bags of supershock to the pool. Ugh.

That much CYA would make your CYA about 50, which is just right.
What is the active ingredient in the supershock?

I will have to check when I get home. The bag is Poolife TurboShock. The web site says the shock delivers 75% chlorine and will not raise CYA. Now that the water is clear, I need to vacuum but am told I shouldn't backwash for 3 days. However, the sediment must be causing a greater loss of FC.

Kk... the turbo shock is cal-hypo - so that's fine it didn't raise the CYA.

The tablet use may be difficult since they had you raise the CYA up to 50. If you were at 30 it would prob be ok. It's up to you if you want to flush a little out.... or just use a little bleach each day (that's what most of us BBB'rs do. Test the FC each nite and add enough bleach to raise your FC up to your "target" (which keeps you above the "min" for the next day) see the CYA Chlorine chart for your targets.

I know that BBB can sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't - just five minutes a day.

You can still use tablets for vacations and such, or next season when your CYA is closer to 30.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does that make Sustain better to use instead of the 3 in tabs? or is BBB the best way to go? Again, I am new to all of this, but have used both Sustain and the 3in tabs seperatley in the past.

It depends really what you want. Ideally, if money is not an issue I'd recommend an SWG. From what I have read, Sustain is super expensive. Trichlor is certainly usable - you just have to understand the affects of using trichlor and how to deal with those side effects.
If you want my honest opinion, you should try BBB for 2-4 weeks before you decide if it's too much work or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.