Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Education

1. Back To Top    #1

Boise Idaho

Pump Education

I built my pool 3 years ago and what seems to be normal for me, might not be correct. After the pump turns off, the water goes back into the inlet side (pool strainer or drain) and the pump becomes partially full. Is this how it should work? Or should the pump filter basket always be at full capacity? I do see bubbles in the returns quite often. Could this be part of the issue showing itself?

It seems like it puts a lot of strain on the pump every time it turns on because it has to re-prime itself back to full pump action.

Also, how often do we check a sand filter? It has been three years and I was wondering if I should open it up and look at the sand level? It seems to be filtering the pool just fine, but didn't know the clean/replace schedule or even a checkup time.
    18x36 inground, sand filter, sta-rite sr400 ng heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Pump Education

YOu have an air leak....most likely on the suction side (you don't see any visible water leaks, do you?) somewhere between the skimmers and the pump.

Common places are the gasket that seals the pump lid, cracked or not completely glued joints, and the drain plug at the bottom of the pump strainer basket.

Find that air leak and your pump will stay primed and the bubbles will be gone.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School