Wedding Cake II Steps have to be attached to deck?

radtfd

May 26, 2010
Hello - We recently had a deck built up to our pool. We are wondering if anyone has had success with weighing down Wedding Cake II steps by lumi-o enough so as to not have to use the bracket to attach it to the deck. I have seen a few different photos on this site where it appears as though they don't have them attached. Thanks in advance for any input / ideas!

Our steps have a shelf area made underneath them for the weight to sit on. The manufacturers instructions said to place sand bags totaling 70 lbs. on the shelf. We found out quickly that 70 lbs. wont even come close to keeping the steps from floating, (even if they are attached) plus sand bags are a breeding ground for algae. (duh...)
My husband ended up using a 7 gallon bucket to make a weight. He put rocks and some other really heavy stuff in it, and poured in concrete to fill the remaining empty space. He then sealed the lid on tightly with silicone. I'm guessing this bucket must weigh well over 150 lbs., not including the weight of the steps which are pretty darn heavy themselves. Guess what? Our steps STILL floated! LOL :roll:

We ended up having no other choice but to attach our heavily weighted down floating steps to the deck.

Ours is Lumi-o and they're not attached to the deck. They don't move much at all even with all the kids playing on them.

If yours has the step inserts I can tell you how to fill them to get the most weight in them.

I just bought some and am disappointed with how bad the design is. I used 3 50 lb sand bags sealed inside 2 extra bags each and I would say the steps are neutral balance. Ours can attach to the deck but I cant see the rail attachment as helping with stability much. They still move slightly when you step in on them.

I would have found another option had I known how much of a pain they are

Bama Rambler said:
Ours is Lumi-o and they're not attached to the deck. They don't move much at all even with all the kids playing on them.

If yours has the step inserts I can tell you how to fill them to get the most weight in them.

Ours do have the three step inserts, would love to know what you did. Thanks again!!!

First thing is to be prepared because once you fill them they are very heavy to handle.

Here's how to do it.
  1. Buy several bags of mortar sand. (ours used about 2 bags/step)[/*:m:20graxt0]
  2. Have a sturdy surface to lay them on.[/*:m:20graxt0]
  3. Lay the insert upside down and remove the plug.[/*:m:20graxt0]
  4. Fill the insert with sand, shaking it down every few scoops.[/*:m:20graxt0]
  5. Fill till you can't get anymore in it.[/*:m:20graxt0]
  6. Take a round object such as a dowel or broom handle and pack the sand into every corner[/*:m:20graxt0]
  7. Fill and pack until you can get no more sand to go in.[/*:m:20graxt0]
  8. Pour 1 pint of bleach into the insert.[/*:m:20graxt0]
  9. Fill with as much water as you can. (Go slowly)[/*:m:20graxt0]
  10. Replace the plug and rinse the insert with clean water.[/*:m:20graxt0]
  11. Place insert on steps.[/*:m:20graxt0]
  12. Rinse and repeat. :)[/*:m:20graxt0]
Filling with water is the trick It makes the steps much heavier than the sand alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.