Pump purchase advice

plucky71

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
I'm looking to purchase a new pump. I don't know the HP of the old pump. The sticker is gone. Please see below for more pool specifics.
I have found a used WhisperFlo pump locally for a good price. My concern with it is that it is oversized for my pool. It is a 1 HP model WF-4C. According to Pentair customer service I only need the 1/2 HP model. Is there a reason not to use this pump other than spending more money on electricity than I need to? Thank you.

You might contact a local pool store and see if you can put a 1/2HP impeller on the WF-4C. Electric motors are sized by the load they can handle without smoking, so a 1HP pump with a 1/2HP impeller will use about the same amount of electricty as the 1/2HP pump, neglecting the effects of the extra weight.

I agree with John and in fact I did it myself although with a Northstar pump. You should easliy be able to replace the impeller for that pump with a 1/2 HP. However, I don't recognize the pump model WF-4C and doesn't get any hits on the internet. Do you know what the "C" means?

Do you have any features that would require higher flow rates? Spa, waterfalls, cleaners, etc.

If not, then the 1/2 HP should be fine. But if you are going with a used pump make sure the wet end is in good shape otherwise you may end buying a new pump eventually anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.