Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where does the wall foam meet the foam coving????

1. Back To Top    #1

Where does the wall foam meet the foam coving????

I have an above ground pool and I am about to replace the beaded liner. I have ordered the following materials:
    Liner
    Gorrila padded floor
    Adhesive foam coving
    Wall foam
    My last liner install I left the old wall foam up, leveled out the existing pool sand on the floor and created the coving with the sand. This time I am putting the gorilla floor pad down and installing new wall foam and the foam coving. The only detail I have not been able to figure out is this. I will put the gorilla floor pad down 1st, then I assume I will have to put the coving in as it has an adhesive back that needs to stick to the side wall of the pool. Now how do I deal with the wall foam? The wall foam is 48” high, my pool wall is 47 ½” from the bottom of the pool wall to the bead receiver, then you take into account the foam cove, this all means I have to cut the wall foam down. The question is, am I supposed to maybe put the wall foam up before the coving and cut it so maybe about an inch or so will tuck behind the adhesive cove, so when I put the cove in most of it will adhere to the pool wall and the wall foam will sit nicely tucked under it? Or am I supposed to try and cut the wall foam so it just touches the top of the foam cove? Or is the wall foam supposed to roll right over top of the coving?
    Thanks in advance
    15,000 gallons
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where does the wall foam meet the foam coving????

You put the wall foam on then the cove goes on after that adhering to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I was afraid that was going to be the answer, not that I think its wrong, obviously I did not know. my concern with that was that I was going to hang the wall foam with some Gorrila tape just at the top, that would leave the wall foam to be basically floating in place, loose at the bottom so to speak (as it was originally). If I adhere the coving to the floating base of the wall foam,,,,you can see where im going with this im sure,,,,
    15,000 gallons
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't do it! If you are using foam cove and wall foam do it right with the spray adhesive. We just installed exactly the same list of items after our old liner failed. Put down Gorilla Pad, wall foam from bottom rail up with adhesive, then foam cove and I will suggest using a bit of the spay adhesive on the cove too to get a tighter hold and fit since the stuff on the back of them is weak. A really even, tight fit with the foam cove is imperative to avoid gaps your liner can suck into. Also be sure to cut the wall foam about 2" wider than the skimmer and return holes so it doesn't interfere with the gasket installation and seal.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback, I asked the rep about the adhsive,,, going on isnt an issue, but when it comes time to replace the wall foam,, then what? I would think that stuff wont come off to well,,, the rep said " Ummmm welllllll.... you have a point,,, I really dont know?" Thats why I was hesitant,,, anyone have any expierience in removing the wall foam adhesive from a previouse install?
    15,000 gallons
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

Yea. We had to remove some around one curve to work on something. Its not bad at all
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -

7. Back To Top    #7

It scraps off pretty easily. It's more of a hold it there till the pool gets full than a stick it there permanently, kind of glue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Thats good news,, while im at it , Ill ask this question as well. I have a beaded pool liner. How high up do I go to the bead receiver? right to the edge?
    15,000 gallons
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep, right under the edge of the bead receiver. You might give it ¼" just to be sure you can snap the bead in.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the feedback
    15,000 gallons
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl

11. Back To Top    #11

OK,,, I just checked online for this product,,, found many variations of how many ounces per can,,, so when we were talking about 1 can should do it,,, what size can were we refering too? Thanks
    15,000 gallons
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl

12. Back To Top    #12

We ended up using 4 cans to avoid the big bubbles it left in gaps

13. Back To Top    #13

Wrong post, this looks like it applies to above ground pool kits
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)