Do solar covers burn chlorine the same as open sunlight?

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
That's about it. Will having my solar cover on while I'm at work keep the chlorine in? Or will it still burn off?

This is the plain old bubble wrap like cover. I won't do those 'Solar cover in a pill'. Anything that says it puts a film on my water is not getting in my water. :rant:

The sunlight will still affect the chlorine in the pool. How much depends on your cover - what colour is it?

Generally, the darker the cover the less chlorine is lost to sunlight, barring all other variables. The blue ones seem to be a good balance between letting the sun in to heat and block UV rays that destroy chlorine. If you have s clear one, then it may have little to no benefit in this regard.

I have a clear cover and don't notice a difference in the amount of chlorine I use a day whether it's on or off. People with dark covers report a reduction in the FC loss when the cover's on, so you're right, you'll just have to check and see how your pool reacts to your cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.