Getting ready to use Jack's Magic purple stuff

I want to try to avoid the ph up and down movement since I just spoke with the JM team. I want to use the Purple Stuff to control my scale problem. They indicated that I would have to keep my ph at 7.2 to clear up my problem and pretty much keep it there with maintenance doses to keep the scale away. I do not want to acid wash my tahoe blue Diamond Brite.

I draned a foot of water from my pool on 5/22/10. My fill water has a ph of 7.2, ta 200, ch 180, and tds of 380. When I did my test on 5/23/10 my results were fc 2.5, ph 7.3 (added MA to try to bring ta down), ta 80, ch 260, and cya 40. Sunday and Monday I aerated the pool to get the ph up some and on. 5/24/10 my ph was 7.4 and my ta 80. Today I turned the jets down and my new test figures are fc 2, ph 7.5, ta 90, ch 270, and cya 40. My temp is 86 and I have a swg that is only on 35 % and runs only about 8.5 hrs. JM indicated I should only have to check my ph about every 3 days, but it seems like I need to do it everyday. Am I missing somehing as for as keeping my ph level? I live in FL so it gets hot and stays hot for a long time.

I respect Jack's as they make good products - but NO pool is identical and they simply can't say "ONLY every three days" because that's impossible to predict. :) They are just wrong on that, plain and simple.

We advise folks to check PH daily anyway, until one "gets to know" their pool. If one's pool tells them "I need you to test my ph daily" then listen to it...LOL :lol: :wink:

Even though the SWG is only at 35% its probably enough to cause the small drift. :) A TA at 60-70 may reduce it somewhat.

Just a note. I'm not sure how much the JM will stop or help scale. It is a sequesterant so it will bind some calcium, which is the main culprit for scale. The way to handle scale, really, is to watch the calcium level and not let it get too high. Second, watch the pH. higher pH will cause worse scale to occur if the calcium level is too high. The JM works well as a sequesterant for metals like iron and to some extent copper. But it's not really a magic (excuse the pun) bullet for scale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.