HELP !! New installation...forgot my three way valve

cha2ga

Feb 18, 2009
Liberty, SC
Installer finished today. I had a 27' round put in. A main drain was installed at my request and a three way valve was specified. The installer did not put a three way valve in. Instead, he used 1.5in ball valves coming from the skimmer and the main drain. Will this work? Pro's and Con's needed ASAP.

Let's see.. 3 pipes. One to skimmer, one to drain, one to pump.

Instead of connecting the three with a three way valve, they are teed, with valves in the drain and skimmer lines, correct? Two valves to move to instead of one when you want to redirect, twice as much opportunity for leaks or freeze damage. Functionally, no different.

Welcome to TFP!!

Not a big deal! You're probably owed a few $ (hard to say how much without knowing what brand valves were used v.s. installed) - I doubt it's more than ~$20 and for that amount, I wouldn't make an enemy out of the PB but I would mention it - just so that he realizes that he owes you and that he screwed up :hammer:

Honestly, you have the same versatility to control the flow from the 2 suction sources - it's just slightly different and may even be easier for you, as a new pool owner to understand and operate :)

Thanks for all the responses. We do winterize here in upstate SC but maybe not to the level as some parts of the country. For winterizing I cover, gizmo in the skimmer, drain filter, drain pump, drain lines, cap return, shutoff breaker to pump. I had a 27' for 15 years that came with my house. I just had it replaced and it got put in today. Right now I'm not very happy about the 3 way valve or the distance they installed the new pool from my existing deck. I've got a lot of work to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.