Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floating Pucks

1. Back To Top    #1

Floating Pucks

I'm using the BBB method for our pool. Should I also use the pucks in the floater.
    My pool:
    10,400 gallon AG, 1hp 2 speed pump, 21" sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana
    There is no need. The bleach takes care of the chlorination, and using the pucks will add CYA to your water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Houston, Texas, USA
    Not to disagree with JohnT, but you do need some cya in the water if the pool is outdoors. You can use the pucks if you need to add some cya. Just don't let the cya get too high. Recommended range is 30-50 ppm.
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

4. Back To Top    #4
    You can use both bleach and the pucks to chlorinate your pool. Just don't pour bleach on or near a puck and you'll be fine. The big question is why do you want to? Not there aren't very good reasons for using pucks in a floater, just why do you think you need to?
    The thing we "preach" around here is understanding your pool and it's basic chemistry so you can make informed, un-biased decisions based upon your pool, not just what someone else (like a teenager in a pool store) tells you. Further more, to understand what you are putting in your pool as everything you had will have some other side effect or consequence. Get a test GOOD test kit if you have not done so.