Pool opening problems

Tyus4

May 25, 2010
I've been trying to research but can't find anything on it. I currently bought a house with a above ground pool. It has the lines to and from the pump under ground so there is caps on the pipes coming out of the ground. I found the pieces that screw into those but, is there suppose to be hardline (like pvc pipe) running up or just a soft hose going to the connections up top? Trying to see if they are around here somewhere but don't know what I'm looking for.

Re: Lines to, and from pump

The connection to the skimmer ( the big box thing) is a suction hose and the other is a discharge hose. They could be piped in pvc if you wanted a permanent connection. You should be looking for 2- 4' hoses or pipes. If they are hoses the one that goes to the skimmer will be re-enforced to prevent it from colapsing under the vacume from the pump.

Thanks for the response..I found one reinforced pvc hose so that must be for the skimmer...what about the discharge..there is 2 connections coming out of the pool as you can see in the pic..where do those go? one goes down to the connection in the ground...what about the other? And that will be any type of hose? I found some that would fit but i think they might be for a pool vacuum

Something just occured to me, Are you familiar with a pool pump deck arrangement at all? If not do not start your pump untill you are certian all valves are correctly positioned. If in doubt post some pictures of that area and I can tell you what to do. Starting a pump with the returns to the pool capped or closed by a valve could damage your filter or other equiptment.

From the looks of it you have 2 returns to the pool . Look on the inside and tell me if there is more than 1 jet in the side of the pool. it will look like the first one. If there are 2 you may need to run a hose from the first to the second. The hose should resemble the the other hose. A vacume hose typically will have moulded ribs in it .

Ok the red handle in the picture is a valve . Its closed right now. It is the suction line valve and it will allow the pump to draw water from the skimmer. It needs to be open when you start the pump. That looks like a Hayward sand filter and it has a valve on the top of it that must be aligned to the filter position BEFORE the pump is started. As long as there are no valves not pictured thats the settings they need to be in to start the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You might want to have a way to screw a plug in there for when you dont want the vacume running.
And you need to check the bottom of the filter ( big round tank ) and make sure the drain plug is in . There is a basket connected to the electric motor and pump. That the suction strainer, open it and make sure they did not store the plug in there. The only thing there should be a removable basket. Tighten the lid down carefully and firmly do not use any tools on it , hand tight should do .
the clear hose with the white lines is good for both. the skimmer and the return jet. connect with stainless hose clamps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.