Adding salt to a non SWG pool

May 24, 2010
CT.
I read that you can add salt to your CH pool to get some of the salt water feel, How much do i need to add to my pool, Once it's cleaned ? "Salt can simply be dumped into the pool. Spread it around a bit with a brush so there aren't any large piles, and leave the pump running for 24 hours after adding salt. If you have a SWG, it should be turned off while you are adding salt and for the next 24 hours"

Rangeball said:
When I added salt to my pool I dumped it all in the skimmer. Dissolves very quickly. I targeted 1800 ppm and couldn't taste it, but the water feel is fantastic.

Unless it dissolves really fast or you have a small pool that sounds like it would take forever. I’m thinking about trying to, but slowly pouring 400 lbs of salt into the skimmer sounds even worse than schlepping it from the store to my truck and from my truck to the pool.

Adding salt through the skimmer is possible, but it will take forever when adding any meaningful amount of salt. Just dump the salt in the pool, spread it out a little so it isn't all in one big mound, wait half an hour with the pump running, and then brush whatever is left around to help it dissolve.

Added some salt today will add more Wednesday if needed, I am targeting 1800-2000 PPM... Used the Morton crystals, dissolved very quickly. About how long before I can get a accurate reading 24hrs?I will leave the pump running tonight.

mid day prior to salt
FC 4 Target 6
TC 4 Target 6
PH 7.5
TA 110
CH 220
Borates ?

Going to try borates in the hot tub.(Borax and Acid route)..Can I use a PH down in place of acid when adding Borax? Should I bring the PH down to 7.0 prior to adding?

Pool store mentioned gentle Spa which is the same as Supreme plus!

Perhaps i will add to pool later in the year!

Do not lower the PH to 7.0 before adding borates. When using borax and acid there can be some fairly large PH swings. You want the PH around 7.4 to 7.6 so that any swings that do occur don't go too far out of range.

I recommend using muriatic acid and not PH down. Not only is it significantly less expensive, PH down can potentially be bad for the pool in the large volumes required.

If these kinds of issues concern you, you might want to use boric acid, instead of borax and acid. Boric acid can be added very simply and costs less than borax and PH down would cost together (but more than borax and muriatic acid).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.