Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Loses Prime when Shutdown

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Loses Prime when Shutdown

New Pool in March so I'm a rookie with some of this stuff.

I have a Jandy DE Filter with Praher Multiport valve. I noticed last night when the pump shutdown that air was bubbling back through the pump into the strainer basket. When I place my hand over the waste line (no drain hose normally connected) I can feel it pulling a very slight vacuum allowing air into the system. Does this mean my multiport valve spider gasket is all ready bad after less than 2 months? Does it mean my DE filter needs a good backwashing? I've never backwashed nor moved the multiport valve for that matter. Any help would be most appreciated.
    Scott
    ----
    7,750 gal, 15'x22' oval AG vinyl, Hayward DE2420 filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580 (SP1540C) pump, 40 gpm, Versa 155C Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Loses Prime when Shutdown

Also what is the level of your pump to your pool, some are just slightly higher and that can lose prime as well.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

Pump IS slightly higher than pool - not much though. What has me wondering about though is that it NEVER did this before. Last night was the first time.
    Scott
    ----
    7,750 gal, 15'x22' oval AG vinyl, Hayward DE2420 filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580 (SP1540C) pump, 40 gpm, Versa 155C Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

The pump draining down when the system is off means there is an air leak somewhere. From your description the spider gasket is a good first place to look.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it typical that it would fail after less than 2 months?
    Scott
    ----

6. Back To Top    #6

typical no. Check to be sure everything is seated properly first.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

7. Back To Top    #7

Certainly not typical and probably still covered under warranty. Sound like a call to customer service may be in order.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Definitely call customer service before you do anything else. If you take it apart they may deny warranty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit