Ecomatic 36 isn't producing chlorine

Curt T

May 24, 2010
Hello All, I have a ESC 36 with a new cell that produces a very small amount of chlorine. Salt Levels & Chemicals all seem to be good. I noticed that the leads connected to the cell are really hot and I don't recall the previous cell being that hot to the touch. I would really appreciate any help, thanks!

you have bad connection between the leads and the cell, or the cell connectors are faulty

are your connectors loose? if yes - try to make the connection tighter using pliers.
don't run it like that, you might end up burning the leads and you'll have to repair both cell and power supply

Well the leads were loose and now they don't get hot. It still isn't generating enough chlorine I hope I didn't damage anything running it that way. Anybody got any ideas on how to troubleshoot the cell or board? Thanks!

It is probably more likely that the SWG is working just fine, but your FC is getting consumed somewhere. Low FC levels in the pool are usually cause by either a low CYA level or a low level algae problem (which you might not be able to see). If you post a full set of water test results we might be able to tell what is happening.

You can test the SWG by making sure it is running and then loosening the union on the output side just enough that a small stream of water comes out. Catch a cup of water from there and test it's FC level. If the FC level at the output of the cell is noticeably higher than the level in the pool then the SWG is working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.