sand or dirt or debri back in pool afrter vacuuming

May 24, 2010
New Engalnd
Hello,

I vacuumed a lot of debri from the pool this evening. I vacuumed on filter. Then I cleaned the basket in the pump. Then Backwashed, then rinsed, then turned the filter back on. When I turned the filter back on it spit out some dirt or sand or something back into the water for a few seconds then stopped. I would say this is due to broken laterals, but last year we had this issue with WAY more sand, and removed all the sand, replaced it and put brand new laterals in. So what is another possible cause?? Any ideas?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to TFP!!

This doesn't sound like a lateral nor sand issue to me :cool:

Off the cuff, it sounds like a multiport issue, any chance we can get some more info on yours? (& I don't think there's a problem with the multi - you just need a primer on properly backwashing your filter) This is what we're here for - come learn from us :)

well what you do mean multiport issue?

I figure it has to be something I did tonight with vacuuming. I vacuumed on filter for a while and when the pressure because noticably reduced, I cleaned the basket in the pump and then backwashed for about 1-2 minutes. Then I rinsed for about 45seconds-1 minute. Then I turned the filter back on and saw sand or dirt or something coming out.

Let me knwo what you need to know about my filter or my process..

My filter has a small glass sight glass. I backwash until it shows clear water. Rinse for 1 min then return to filtering. Sounds like the filter was not completly washed or you may need to rinse a little longer.

Re: sand or dirt or debris back in pool after vacuuming

First a couple of questions.
  1. What type and size is your pool?[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  2. How does your vacuum hook up?[/*:m:8ib15i0i]

Just to make sure your process is correct here's how you should be doing it.
  • Start Pump.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Hook up vacuum.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Vacuum pool.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Stop pump.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Clean pump basket strainer & remove vacuum.[/*:m:8ib15i0i][*]Start pump and run for a couple minutes to clear debris.[/*:m:8ib15i0i][*]Stop Pump.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Place multiport valve to backwash.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Start pump and backwash until sight glass shows clear.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Move multport valve to rinse.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Start pump and rinse till sight glass runs clear.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Move multiport valve to filter.[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
  • Start Pump and run normally[/*:m:8ib15i0i]
Is this basically the steps you take? (a & b's order can be swapped.)

That is exactly what I do. Then I saw it spit out a little sand or dirt or what not back into the pool for a few seconds. This morning when I started the filter (after being off all night) I didnt see anything shoot back into the pool. The water flow is very strong. How long does the backwash typically take? I watch it go from sorta clear to very dirty to clear. Then I rinse, which mostly looks clear. I backwash for probably 1-2 minutes and rinse for about 45 seconds.

Pool is 20 by 40 with 2 skimmers and a main drain. I hook the vacuum up to the hole below the basket in the skimmer. Suction seemed fine yesterday. The issue was the debri coming back into the pool when I ran the pump on filter after vacuuming, backwashing, and rinsing. Thoughts?

this morning i turned on the filter to run it for the day, and didnt notice any debri coming out of it. It looked like it normally does, a couple bubbles, a few quick bursts, then a steady stream.

Does this support your theory that maybe some of the dirt got caught in the multivalve as i switched it? For what its worth, I vacuumed out quite a bit of debri yesterday. I just don't want my vacuuming efforts to feel wasted.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Could/Would this problem be avoided by just always vacuuming to waste when I have a pretty big amount of stuff to vacuum in the pool?

It did happen a few times last night, as I needed to backwash about 2-3 times after vacuuming quite a bit of debri.

last year we had some laterals broken so it shot more sand in the pool. i fixed it with new laterals and new sand.

so tonight i vacuumed some of the remaining sand from last year on the pool floor. the problem is after vacuuming to waste and rinsing for 1-2 minutes after (looked clear going out the back) i saw sand come back in for a few seconds when i put the pump back on filter.

thoughts?? it cant be my laterals, those are new!

You mentioned in a earlier post that you hook up your vacuum to the hole at the bottom of the skimmer below the basket.

I'm not sure about the sand back in but I was told not to hook up directly to the hole below the skimmer basket as you could inadvertently vacuum something large that could possibly clog the pipe. I was told to vacuum through the basket with a circular vacuum plate.

Just to be sure, you do remove the vacuum before starting the backwash and run the filter for a couple minutes, still on 'filter'? If you don't, this could well be the cause for what you're seeing :wink:

I think that you still have vacuumed debris in the line and when you switch to 'backwash' that debris is ending up on the wrong side of the filter media. (anyone else want to take it from here? :) )

Bama, you might want to make 'f' run pump for a couple of minutes to clear debris from the line, then switch to backwash :wink:

I have sand that spilled in the pool last year from broken laterals (replaced since and new sand) so I vacuum on waste. then remove the hose and put the basket back in. then I shut the pool pump off. then I switch it to rinse for about 1-2 minutes. I see clear water going out the back. I shut off the pump and put it on filter. For the first few seconds of the pump running, see some sand come out.

On a day where I don't vacuum, i leave the pump off at night and turn the filter on in the morning. In doing so, i haven't seen sand come out of the jets. The only time i saw sand was after i vacuumed to filter or vacuumed to waste. I always backwash and rinse if i vacuum on filter. But more recently I vacuum on waste and rinse after. Yet I stll see some sand shoot out after. :rant:

So vacuum to waste. After finishing, take the vacuum hose out. Then shut off the pump. Put it on Filter for a few minutes. Then shut it off and run backwash and rinse?

correct?

Is there a time when you shouldnt rinse after vacuuming to waste? I am hoping its my process and not an actual part that is messed up.

Mattyssox said:
On a day where I don't vacuum, i leave the pump off at night and turn the filter on in the morning. In doing so, i haven't seen sand come out of the jets. The only time i saw sand was after i vacuumed to filter or vacuumed to waste.
By that description, it sounds like something's going on in the multiport. I'm leaning toward the spider gasket letting some dirty water migrate from the dirty side to the clean side while vacuuming. But I'm not sure that could happen.

Tell us what brand and model your equipment is. As much of it as you know but especially the multiport valve, filter and pump. Also if you could take some pics of your equipment and post them maybe that would help.

I can take pictures when I get home, but the pump is a hayward 1.5hp, and is brand new. The multiport valve is starbrite? and is probably on the older side. The sand and laterals are new. the pool is 20 by 40. As I said, I don't see sand shooting in when I fire up the pump in the morning while its been off overnight. And I dont see sand or debri shoot out while I vacuum on filter. Just after.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.