sand or dirt or debri back in pool afrter vacuuming

After a little searching apparently the Starbright valve is also the same as the Sand Dollar valve sold by Pac-Fab (Pentair). I didn't find any parts for it but I'm still leaning toward that being the culprit.

Maybe someone else will have an opinion. HELP!!! Anyone!

I do suspect the multiport. Check with your local Pentair dealer. They can probably get parts for it. Even if they can't all you need is a new valve not a whole filter.

Don't feel that way. Once you get the few things fixed it'll be smooth sailing. You'll soon forget about the little annoyances.

Went to the local pool store and they said that its more likely that the sand I am vacuuming is very fine, which would cause some of it caught in the lines to come back into the pool when I turn on the filter. They said I should continue to vacuum to waste as it will get 90% of it out and gradually less and less will come back in whe I turn it back on filter.

Does this sound like a possibility?

I'm not sure if that will even be the case. This morning I turned on the pump to filter after being off all night and i am pretty sure i saw a little sand come in.

I talked to another pool store just now, and they said to check the laterals. Even though they are new as of last year, to take the sand out, save it, and check to see if any of the laterals are bent up or cracked or anything. Is this likely? or possible? after just one year of use?

It's hard to say if it's the laterals. Not likely, I'd think, but possible. Depending on how the installation of the new laterals last year was done. Either they or the sand could have been installed incorrectly but I'd think it'd would have shown up before this. I guess it's possible that backwashing could have dislodged one given the right circumstances.

Sand in Pool, checked the gasket and it looks good.

Sand in Pool, checked the gasket and it looks good.

So.............does this mean my last shot is the laterals in the filter? is it easy to screw up putting in new laterals?

Last year I had sand in the pool, so i replaced the laterals. Maybe I screwed them up? maybe one had a crack in it? Is this common for new ones to be put in wrong or is it fool proof?

I'm draining the filter right now of water so I can dig out some sand to check the laterals. :x

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Sand in Pool, checked the gasket and it looks good.

Laterals or a cracked riser or coupler. Was the sand in the filter designated as pool filter sand on the package? What size is your pump and what model is your filter?

the sand was pool filter sand (bought at pool store). the pump is 1.5hp I believe and the pool filter is a sta-rite, but I'm not sure of the model, but the valve says 14965. pump was professionally installed, so my gut tells me they would have let me know if it didnt match the filter. The pool is 20 by 40 ft inground.

Mattyssox said:
. pump was professionally installed, so my gut tells me they would have let me know if it didnt match the filter.

Unfortunately, many pros oversize pumps routinely.

gasket looks good. laterals look fine. sand is less than a season old. my pool has been cloudy no matter how balanced the pool store says it is and no matter what expensive clarifiers I buy.

why is it always cloudy?
why is sand coming in?

why did i buy a house with a pool?

I know this ordeal has been trying for you and seems like it's not going away but stick with it and we'll figure it out before long and it'll be trouble free.

Let's stop a minute and think. I'm going to merge this topic with your other one so we can keep up with the history. BRB.

Ok I'm back.

Try this, Take a skimmer sock or a nylon hose and hold it over the return while someone starts the pump and see if you can catch some of the sand and tell us what it looks and feels like.

Also, post a full set of test results for us and how you obtained them (pool store, own kit, etc).

I can try that. At the moment I have my laterals out and sand out so I could inspect the laterals. I am bringing them to a pool store for a second opinion.

i can try that skimmer sock idea when I turn the pool back on. What are you thinking, with regards to the skimmer sock?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.