Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borate test strips

1. Back To Top    #1

Borate test strips

I have been using the AquaChek borate test strips for a while now. They are a little difficult to determine the color at the higher levels of borates needed. I just got some of the LaMotte borate test strips today and they are MUCH better. The color differentiation between 30 ppm, 50 ppm, and 80 ppm is much easier to see than on the AquaChek strips! (My pool is at 50 ppm and I tested with both strips and also did dilutions to test the lower ranges. I also added some additional borax to my sample to test the highest range.) IF you can find them I would recommend them! They seem to be rather elusive since they are a relatively new product for LaMotte. I have the Proteam Supreme test kit on order (it's a titration test for borates and a bit expensive--about $60!) so I will report on that once it comes in.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA
    I thought I was the only one that couldn't read those stupid things. I new I had enough but I really couldn't tell how much more than 30 ppm I had.

I haven't tried your dilution method yet but that sounds like it should work good enough so that I can use up the strips that I have. Hopefully by then I can find the LaMotte strips easier.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't care for AquaCheck brand strips for anything.

Thanks for the info on the LaMotte strips. I think I'll order some from the internet, if I can find them. I haven't been able to find borate test strips anywhere locally.

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I have not been able to find the LaMotte strips anywhere on the net except on the askalanaquestion website and he only sells them by the case! That is why I have been using the Aquachek strips (which are the same as the Proteam strips).

Aquachek actually makes ONE strip that is excellent--their salt titrator strips. I have checked them against titration tests and different calibrated salt meters and they are always right on the money!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Joliet, Il.
    Thanks for the review waterbear. The aquacheck strips really didn't bother me much. It would have been nice if they were set up to be similar to the salt strips...but to get me in the area I wanted to be...they did do the job. I was shooting for a Borate reading between 65 and 70 and got to 70. While the strips don't have a 70 on them...the color was closer to 80 than it was to 50.

But if I ever need to buy more...I will look for the LaMotte strips instead.

on a side note...

After adding the Borates I am still amazed at the reduced chlorine consumption and how clean the pool is with even less maintenance than I was doing before. What a joy it has been!!!!!!!

21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Spring Hill, Florida
    I found the Lamotte borate test strips here:

They're $10.00 for a bottle of 25, and my shipping was $2.06.