Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Speaker Opinions...PLEASE

1. Back To Top    #1

Outdoor Speaker Opinions...PLEASE

Hey Guys & Gals,

I'm working on setting up some speakers outside for our patio/pool area, and wanted to get you guys' opinions.

The options I'm looking at are between a few different speakers, so here we go:

1) Yamaha NS-AW350W/NS-AW390WH --- @$100.00 at Amazon

2) OutdoorSpeakerD***t.com - AP640 --- $90.00

3) Parts-Express - Dayton IO650W --- $95.00

4) Parts-Express - TIC ASP120 --- $111.00

All are based on 6.5" speakers. I think this will suffice for our patio (15X40) and out to the pool area. Future plans include possibly adding a couple of rocks possibly, but I want to start with these.

Can I get your opinions on these speakers, prices, and/or companies??

I know that OSD isn't necessarily "liked" everywhere, but I've read alot of good reviews. What about any PE and Amazon experiences you've had?

Thanks guys,,,,,,,DMAN
    17,500g ; 16X32 Inground Vinyl
    Hayward 1hp ; SWG
    3/4hp booster on Polaris 280
    WHO DAT!
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outdoor Speaker Opinions...PLEASE

I am very happy with our Yamaha speakers. Going on three years without any issues. I do take them in for the winter. Installed junction boxes with banana plugs for a quick disconnect of the wires.

My setup is probably different then most since I have the speakers out by the filter. They face the pool and house. We are sitting about 75ft. from them across the pool. And the house kind of bounces back the sound, at least it's not just traveling away from us or directly to the neighbors.
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

3. Back To Top    #3

X2 for the Yamaha. I don't bring them in for winter, but I'm in FL. Going on three years, no issues whatsoever. I paid around $100 for them; and order from Amazon frequently - nothing but good to say about Amazon.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, I can 't comment on the speakers in your list, but I have a set of the Polk Atrium 60s and they are excellent speakers. I had them quite loud this weekend so we could hear them over the slide, and they took the extra juice without distorting a bit. I have also heard the Boston Acoustics Voyager series and they are nice as well.

I have always had good luck with Amazon.
    Purchased my Atrium's from Crutchfield.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have Bose 151 Environmental speakers, going on 15 years! I leave them out every winter and hose them down when they get dirty. I have found the bass response to be excellent for such a small speaker size.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

X3 for the Yamaha's. I have 2 pairs, both purchased from OSD. They have great sound for such an inexpensive speaker and will take lots of weather abuse. Although I bought mine from OSD, prices can vary from site to site so check around.
    31000 Gal IG L-shape w/ spa, Riversand finish (PebbleSheen clone)
    Jandy 60 sq ft DE, 2.5 HP (uprated) Stealth pump, Polaris 280 w/ booster, Jandy PDA PS4 controller

7. Back To Top    #7

I saw what you mentioned, but have seen this at best buy and they seem to have very good reviews.

Insignia® - 3-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Pair) Model: IS-SP3WAY | SKU: 7314523 (32.98)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...kers&cp=1&lp=1

Insignia® - Simulated Rock Outdoor Speakers (Pair) Model: NS-R2111 | SKU: 8278124 (99.97)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...kers&cp=1&lp=2

Insignia® - 130W 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Pair) Model: NS-E2111 | SKU: 7682769 (82.98)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...kers&cp=1&lp=3
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Everyone,

I appreciate you guys taking time to chime in. I got some good info here.

crabboy -- I like those Polks, and if I could do it, would probably go with some Bostons (I hear the Voyager 7's are killer) but a little out of my league on price.

J20832 -- WOW!! 15 years?? that's awesome. But again, the Bose, as much as I would love to get some are a bit pricey for us. However, if I could get a guarantee on them lasting 15 yrs, that would be an investment, not a purchase....hmmmm Naaaa, my luck they'll go out in a week...hehe

mynewpool -- I have been to BB and checked these exact speakers out this past weekend. I was actually going to buy the Insignia's (NS-R2111), UNTIL I saw the other speakers there and listened to them all. They had the Yamaha's, Bose, Klipsh, and some other brand. I really liked the Yamaha's, because they had the 6.5" woofers. The Insignia's were only 5.25", so they didn't really have the same bass response. I know outside I won't get home theater bass, but at least a little would be better than none. Plus, if I can get the Yami's for like $10-$15 dollars more, I think I might go that route.

joenj, no-mas, jkalan --- Thanks for the info on the Yamaha's. I think we will go this route. I wasn't sure about how they would stand up, but if you guys have had them for a few yrs., I think we'll be ok. Ours will be installed under our patio cover, so they won't be in direct weather and should last pretty good. We really like their sound at BB, so they might be the winners.

Thanks Again everyone,,,,,,,,

DMAN
    Hayward 1hp ; SWG
    WHO DAT!
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

9. Back To Top    #9

X4 for the yamahas. I had the previous model (very similar, a little less power) at my last house with a pool a few years ago. I put 8 of them outside, all around my yard. They were great. I was so impressed with their ambient sound. Nothing was harsh. They weren't very bassy, but they always were good for ambient party music.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

10. Back To Top    #10

TIC Omni speakers are amazing. I posted it before
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey guys and gals,

OK, ordered and received the Yamaha's and installed them for a birthday party this past weekend.

First things first,,,, the party went off without a hitch (thanks for wondering....hehehe).

Secondly, the speakers came out GREAT! I had my brother-in-law climb up in the attic with me, and since he is alot smaller than I am, he had the privilege of squirming into the edges of the attic along the eaves. We got them installed up under the patio, so they will be pretty much out of the weather, and they look really good to me. Check out the pics and let me know what yall think.

Thirdly, (is that a word).... the speakers sound AWESOME!! I am really pleased with the sound I am getting. I mounted them up kinda close to the patio ceiling, in order to take advantage of any benefit for bass reflex I might get. And I do.... the bass when on the patio is very nice with full sound all around. These speakers put out great sound in pretty much all music we put to them so far. Now, when you step out around the pool, you do lose some of the bass response, but none of the sound. They continue to perform great all the way around the pool which at it's farthest is around 50ft or so from the speakers,,, and without having to crank them up to unsafe levels.

Overall, for $92.00,,,, I couldn't be more happy with this purchase. Thanks to everyone here that gave any opinions or suggestions.

DMAN

Hayward 1hp ; SWG
    WHO DAT!
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

12. Back To Top    #12
    DMAN!

When I looked at your pics I thought "hmmm, looks like the back of my house, could it be a DR Horton?" Then I saw you were in BR!! LOL too funny! I'm in Denham. Sooo, howdy neighbor!

BTW, Speakers look great!
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

13. Back To Top    #13

esim,

Believe it or not, I was telling my wife the same exact thing while reading one of your posts on another thread about your setup. I was telling her that it sounded very similar to ours. We too have a receiver with zone 1 and zone 2, and now have the speakers on the patio.

Yes, you are absolutely right,,, it is a DR Horton (good OR bad), and we also live in Denham. We are in Southpoint, you anywhere close?....hehe what a small world!! You probably drive right by us everyday if you are... Good to meet ya neighbor...

DMAN
    Hayward 1hp ; SWG
    WHO DAT!
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Forest Ridge!! Small Small world!
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy
    Sorry, I can 't comment on the speakers in your list, but I have a set of the Polk Atrium 60s and they are excellent speakers. I had them quite loud this weekend so we could hear them over the slide, and they took the extra juice without distorting a bit. I have also heard the Boston Acoustics Voyager series and they are nice as well.

I have always had good luck with Amazon.
    Purchased my Atrium's from Crutchfield.

I just got the Polks as well and they really sound quite good. They are rated to be out in the open with no overhang or shelter
    Kurt R
    35900 gal. 20x40 Inground, Vinyl Liner with Deep End in the Middle, Roman Stairs on Both Ends
    Sta Rite Sys 3, Hayward 1.5 Super Pump, Aqua Heat Heat Pump, Paramount in Floor, BBB

16. Back To Top    #16

In general, I've always like Yamaha speakers. Good bang for the buck. I bought some of those Insignias 3 years ago and they work great. I can't really crank it up so I didn't see the point in spending more. It looks like the prices have come down a lot.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

17. Back To Top    #17

Aw, I missed an AV thread. Lol, I love AV stuff

Congrats on the new speakers. I'm glad you're happy with them. Just out of curiosity, what receiver are you driving them with?
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

18. Back To Top    #18

I can confirm that the Boston Acoustics Voyager 7's sound fantastic. They have great bass response if you have them under any type of eave or overhang. I'm thinking about adding a second pair and an outdoor subwoofer, but haven't identified a subwoofer yet. Right now, I have the one pair of voyagers being driven by Zone 2 if my main home theater receiver but I am thinking of moving them to their own receiver and trying to do something with an Apple TV or Airport Express so that I can control things from an iPhone or iPad.
    15,000 Gallon Aqualeader Sentinelle 24x54
    AO Smith Hi-Flo 1.5 hp 2-speed pump
    Waterway Clearwater II 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    BBB, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

I have two pair of Polk Atrium 45's now and will be getting another pair before we open pool. One pair under patio. One pair facing down toward Hot Tub and final new pair will be outward facing pool. Real good sound, just not good bass. So if classic rock a good fit, rap = bad bass and style... ;o)

20. Back To Top    #20

I like my pair of Klipsch AW-650 speakers. They get hailed on every year and still kick it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast