Getting Balance

Strom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2009
Greenwood, Indiana
I started with this site last year and indeed had a trouble free pool. When I opened in early April, the water was clear and still holding FC. Due to my own lack of attention, I opened the auto cover Saturday to find a cloudy mess. I tested for ammonia and had nearly 8 ppm. In the past when my CYA level was through the roof, the ammonia level would have been off the charts and the drain and refill process would be happening. Anyway, lots of liquid chlorine on Saturday and Sunday and the ammonia is gone and we are on the way to getting better. Here's where we're at:

FC 4
CC < 1
PH 7.0 (This is a major concern)
TA 140
CH 250
CYA 0 (Another major concern...added 2 lbs yesterday and nothing registering yet)

Concerned with PH. Aerating hasn't produced results yet. Normally when I am adjusting TA with muratic acid and aeration, I would see an increase by now. I re-read about borates. I haven't added Borax previously. This finally leads to my question. Based on the low PH and slightly higher TA, should I add Borax to get the PH up now and deal with the TA later? Or keep aerating and be patient? Does liquid chlorine affect PH or TA?

I wouldn't worry about the PH too much. Keep aerating and it will come up eventually. You can swim at 7.2 or higher, and I expect it will be there in plenty of time.

Liquid chlorine will temporarily raise the PH when it is added, and the PH will then go down again as the chlorine gets used up.

It can take up to a week for CYA to fully dissolve and show up on the test. Usually it is best to wait the entire week before testing so you don't waste any CYA test reagent.

I added borates yesterday after everybody was done swimming for the day. 17 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax and about 5 gallons of Muratic acid. After about 5 or 6 hours, I thought the water looked even better than it did before I started. Since it was hot in Indianapolis (record setting high temps for the 500), I worked up a good sweat doing the two brushing sessions. I figured it was a good time to go ahead and cut the grass. About 2-3 hours after getting the pool set up, I had to get in a cool off. I like the feel of the water. The real test will be watching the PH and chlorine demand over the next several weeks. Overall this was easy and economical. I'll post results as I get them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.