Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-opened pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-opened pool.

After opening my pool at the end of April and having the liner blow out, we are open for business AGAIN!! Just got the new liner installed yesterday and the pool is filled! Here's the numbers:

FC 0
    CC 0
    TC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 230 (high?)
    CH 0
    CYA 0

I added two pounds CYA in the socks this morning. Put in a couple jugs of bleach and now the FC is up to 3.5. Should I worry about the TA yet? We put in three inches of our own well water and the rest was trucked in from the city. Any suggestions?

thanks to my loyal TFP peeps!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-opened pool.

I wouldn't worry about the TA right now you can work on it along because it won't be a "all at once" event. You did right by getting soe FC in there and adding the CYA. How much CYA are you shooting for? 2lbs should raise it about 18.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

according to the calculator, I should shoot for a CYA of 40. Last year, I was advised to add it no more than two pounds at a time. So, do I just wait for all that to dissolve, then add two more and so on until my amount is meet?

thanks!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

I would go ahead and add a total of 4 lbs of CYA/stabilizer/conditioner to the pool.

Make sure you get some chlorine in there soon, if you haven't already.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I will add the additional two pounds right now. And yes, I have been adding chlorine often to keep it to shock level of 10 ppm. I think I'm finally getting the hang of TFP!! Thank you Jason!
    Theresa and/or Gary

6. Back To Top    #6

Re. the high TA, when you do the R-0009 drops, do they look normal size? That reagent has a static buildup problem sometimes, you wipe the tip with a damp cloth or tissue every few drops to take care of it.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll try that!

thanks
    Theresa and/or Gary