ground leveling noob having brain fart HELP

Re: ground leveling nood haveing brain fart HELP

Have your sweetie check out the expandable liners at Nationalpoolwholesalers.com. That's where I purchaed my whole setup. I am in need of liner replacement this year due to a dispespectful guest and I am staying with them. I have an 18x33 oval 54" wall. We went with the swirlwall.bottom look and it's really pretty when the sun hits it. Their shipping is free and I have searched high and low for an 18x33 for less than $400.00 and I just have not found them any less expensive. Looks like you have a 24 ft round, it will run you $280.00/no shipping costs. I believe they are out of Fla too so it shouldn't take too long to receive it. Good luck with your ground work. That's the hardest and most aggravating part of the job. Once you get that out of the way, it's pretty much down hill. Also, if you get stuck on the hopper (bowl, deep end) I found plenty of tips at Aurthurspools.com. Click on the "above ground pools link and then click on the pool encyclopedia both links are on the left of the home page. You will find pictorials of a job like this and the easy way to fill with the least amount of wrinkles in your liner.
P.S. you will end up with a few wrinkles. We worked ours opposite of the skimmer under our steps.

Re: ground leveling nood haveing brain fart HELP

Well yes I am still on the ground prep part. Instead of my local pool person had a landscaping company come in and level the ground now I wish I would have spent the extra 150 to 200 more and had the pool guy do it at least he would know what it should be like. I had them mainly focus on the outer edge mainly ended up being a bucket width (3'). since I am digging out for a deep end. I got my blocks in the ground how close to each other do they have to be height wise? Boy I am glad I started this project :shock: :shock: but next year will be easier. Also finally got a rotary laser level set it up in the middle and put my 4' level standing up and just used the spot mode for now because haven't got my detector yet. I think I am going to get a couple ton of 3/16 limestone with fines and level up the blocks close to each other then put the ring together and use limestone to level it as well. Other wise I will never get any further. This is what I got for measurement for all the blocks. This doesn't want to come out right can barley see my numbers don't know how to fix.

pool.jpg

Whatever you do, don't just get frustrated and say 'well it won't be that bad if it's not quite right'. Believe me, it is definitely the hardest and most frustrating part. I just finished doing it a few days ago, so I know what you're going through. I can't count how many times I was ready to just give up on it.

After spending day after day, after day, etc. working on it, I finally got it right, and now have the pool filling. With all the hard work I put into it, I'm happy to say I got it level within 1/4" all the way around.

You really want to get the area as level as possible, no more than an inch (I believe) off, but preferably, as close as you can. Apparently, you've got the right tools to get the job done, it just takes time and patience.

Sorry for the long post, and keep us updated!

well sometimes when I take a break I sit and wonder what I got into. Then the last wek and a half good rains every other day. Now it's nice have to work 7 days straight. But next year won't have to deal with all this. Anyone know how I can get the last picture to come out better I did it in paint. Right now my blocks are 1 7/8 off from my high to low. Thats why thinking of the crushed limestone to help with those and for the bottom rail.

fordman said:
well sometimes when I take a break I sit and wonder what I got into.

Been there, done that. Sometimes you just sit there and say, "WHAT am I doing?"

It just takes time, especially for those of us who have never done it before. If you use crushed limestone (or something similar) for a base, just make sure it's compacted VERY well.

Ok got a new idea. Got my rotary laser in the middle spinning and my detector on set it to the hight of my biggets number witch means it is the block that is the furthest down. And pull up each block and make them all the same or within 1/4 to each other. Then going to hand dig out between each block and get that all level for the rail and vertical plate. I think my ground is level enough for the bottom just not the rail and plates. So am going to focus on that area since plan on tapering down to a deep end.

Good plan. There's really no point in leveling the inside right now since you are digging a deep end. That's what I did with mine (leveling the outer ring) and then leveled inside as best as I could. Yeah, there's some bumps in there, but there will be eventually anyways, and I really don't care if it's a little bumpy.

well still plugging away got all my blocks within a 1/2 inch now going to level the ground in between each block. Also went today and got 2 ton of 3/16 minus limestone with fines. Got in between three blocks done by filling in and packing with the limestone looks like it might actually work good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.