My d/e filter needs frequent backwashing

ev

May 24, 2010
Good day all.
Im new to this site but from what I have read you guys know what your are talking about.
I just opend my pool last week. It had a desent amount of algae in it. My d/e filter was doing a good job of clearing it all out except it constantly needs to be backwashd. The pressure seems fi e but the water just sits there until we backash it and it starts running beautifully again. It seems lime the period from when it's running fine to when it just does nothing is about 4 to 6 hours. I tried cleaning out the filter again ( I clean it at the end of every season) and I put d/e in the pool after the backwashing, but after 4 hours itsthe same situation. I don't k ow what to do? Any suggestions?

My pool is 30k gallons with a 2 year old d/e filter after each backash I replace the d/e at a rate of 4.5 to 6lbs via a d/e scoop. This is the first time I have experienced this problem.

Welcome to TFP.

Frequent backwashing can be needed on a DE filter when dealing with algae. Just a downside of efficient filtration. Best advice I can give you is to stay after it, maintain high enough chlorine level to get rid of the algae as quickly as possible, and to run the filter on recirculate when you aren't available to backwash it frequently.

Thank you for your reply. We did have algae when the pool was first opened but it's all deal and resting at the bottom of the pool. We were waiting till the pool was clear enough to see and vacuum the remaining algae out of the pool. I will take your advice and continue to backash and put it on recirculate when we are unavailable.
One more question? is this a common problem cause I have never had this problem in the past?

Your filter is working as intended. All that dead algea is being caught in the filter and will need to be removed via backwashing when your pressure increases . This will require less backwashing as the process goes forward.I would recommend changing your pressure guage.They can and do go bad.

Continue to brush your pool that will help it get to the filter and also expose algea thats hiding under the dead stuff. You should continue to see the backwashing requirement decrease , and eventually return to normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.