Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax or Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Borax or Salt

I'm just curious to find out what the prefered method of making the water "feel" better to your skin. Do members out there prefer to add borax or salt to improve the feel of the water? After swimming a few times I have noticed my skin looks dryed out. I'm thinking about adding something...borax or salt to help with this. Any advice out there?
    28,000 IG Free Form Gunite with quartz finish
    Pentair Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS+SVRS
    Polaris 280, Sta-Rite 400K Heater-Propane

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Borax or Salt

Having not tried the "salt for feel" test, I cannot really comment on that, other than it is fairly widely held here that adding salt does improve the feel of the water. I have had borates in my pool before though and it most definitely gave the water a silkier feel, at least to me and my family.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    Eastern Pennsylvania

We add salt to somewhere around 1800 - 2000 ppm. It makes a wonderful difference in the water feel.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

4. Back To Top    #4

We have very hard water and I have borates at 50ppm and salt at 3000-3500ppm for the swg. Couldn't be happier with how soft the water feels.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator