raising pH without pump running

poolbee

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
WNY
We just uncovered our pool today and for the first time it is green and cloudy upon opening. The pump won't be turned on until Saturday and I would like to try to conquer this before then using my Dolphin and bleach. I have not tested the water yet so I can't offer any readings right now. My question is is it safe to use pH UP without the pump running and mixing it with a brush and the Dolphin if I need to? Or since I have a few days can I just keep adding bleach til it turns clear and then worry about the pH?

I know you say you haven't tested, but what is you're PH at? if 7.2 or above, I wouldn't worry about it, but you will want circulation when bleach is added for at least 30 mins

It would be a waste of time and money to attempt anything untill you are able to get some baseline numbers to work with. Also you will need a pump to clear your algea problem. I would say to wait untill you can approach this with the proper tools and equiptment. You will need to shock , and you want your ph to be around 7.2 when you do. Dont add any ph up untill you knopw what the ph actually is.

Here are my values: pH 7.0
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
Alk 60
CYA-30

As I said in my first post, this is the first time we ever opened the pool to be so green. It has always been pretty clear in previous years. We found a big tear in the cover which let a lot of snow melt, rain and other junk into the pool. My main concern is the pH. Am I better off waiting on that and adjusting that last? My pool co. only adds polyquat and shock. They do no testing. I really just want to clear it up. I was hoping adding bleach and running the Dolphin might do the trick until the pump is turned on.

With a pH of 7.0 I wouldn't worry about raising it right now. Chlorine is your biggest need. But I'd be leary of trying to shock with just the Dolphin circulating the water. I have no idea how much water the dolphin moves so it's just a guess on my part. Matbe someone with experience will comment.

Well, those familiar with gg's posts know what she's going to say. An inexpensive submersible pump is one of the best ways to help circulate your water. They aren't very expensive.

I used two this winter, for circulation, when my pump and filter were out of the system and kept the chems totally in balance. I did have the Aquabot running a lot too that circulated and filtered about 3K gallons an hour. The submersible works best placing it on a step or bench, mostly to keep it out of the muck. If you don't have much much on bottom you can place it on the floor of shallow end. Then run the hose to the other end/side of pool to deposit the water. I like using two as it gets even more water circulating.

If you have much muck on the bottom of pool you can put a submerged weighted 5 gallon bucket in the shallow end and put the pump down in the bucket. The submersible pump doesn't have to be sitting on a flat surface.

If pool is all one depth then you can basically put pump any where convenient but put the return pretty much opposite, end or side to get the best circulation.

The lower hp submersible pumps don't push water very high that's why it is best to put pump in shallower area. If you want to used it in deep end then hang it over side only about 4-6 ft depending on how powerful the pump is.

I have one that is less hp than one but I don't know what its hp rating is. The larger one is 4/10 hp and retailed for $139 at home depot. It was the last one and a display so they knocked $39 off of price. The smaller one does a great job and it was $65 a few years ago at HD.

I use them for so many things. One is to clean out the last bit of water when I change the spa. Another is using it to pull water out of a barrel for watering.

gg=alice

My son spent part of the day yesterday vacuuming with the poolbuster and got the whole shallow end and part of the deep end floor cleaned up. I put the Dolphin in after adding what bleach I had around the house-1 packet of Cal-Hypo and about 2 quarts of 6% bleach-and brushed it around well. In the morning it was more of a turquoise color. I put in a gallon of 12.5 bleach this morning and now it is bright blue-just very cloudy. FC is 5 right now. I know it is not shock level but the pool co. will shock when they open. Good enough for me until it is fully open. Sat. can't come soon enough! I know I am making more work for myself by not waiting but looking at that green was so unappealing!
GG I do have a 1/5 hp submersible pump we use for the cover in spring. That is an interesting idea using it like that. I probably won't use it now but it is good to know about if my equipment ever fails. I would have never thought of that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.