Questopn on Shock Types

I opened my pool recently and purchased some new shock at Home Depot the main ingredient is Trichloro-s-triazinetrione a powder. I had some shock left over from last year which main ingredient is sodium hypochorlite a liquid shock. The Trichloro on the top said do not mix with calcium hypochorite why not and what is that another type of shock? What is the difference between sodium hypochorlite and calcium hypochorite. I never mixed the two I just used the Home Depot one. My other question in the future would it okay to use the liquid shock from last season. Thanks!

You don't mix different types of chlorine because a dangerous chemical reaction can occur. If you add one, wait to add another type until the first is completely dissolved.

As for the difference, Trichlor adds CL and CYA, Cal-Hypo adds calcium along with CL, and sodium hypo adds salt and CL. You have to be careful using Trichlor and Cal-Hypo because of the other things they add, which is why the majority here uses sodium hypo (aka bleach).

Have you read through Pool School yet? If not, start there and read through it. Then read through it again, and if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask! Since I haven't seen you here yet, welcome to TFP! :wave:

"Shock" is a marketing term; it doesn't distinguish one kind of chlorine from another.

Every pool-chlorine compound adds a little salt as well as chlorine; sodium hypochlorite (bleach/liquid chlorine) and lithium hypochlorite (typically very expensive) are the only kinds that don't add anything else. The amount of salt is small enough that it's not even worth thinking about it.

Regarding leftover liquid chlorine from last season, it's probably degraded to about half strength at this point but would still be worth something in the pool.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.