PH and TA

My current ph is 7.3 and my ta is 80. I am aerating my pool and running it about 8 hrs. right now. I know that the ph will go up and be around 7.6 within the next 24 hrs. At some point I will lower the ph to 7.2 again to bring my ta down to 60. This is in the recommended amount for a swg pool. I am running borates now. My latest test #s are: fc 2.5, ph 7.3, ta 80, ch 250, cya 40, salt 3800, and temp 86. I put 1.5 lbs. of cya in a sock and I am waiting for it to disolve.

My question is there any way to slow the ta down from going up as much as the ph? I want to keep the ta around 60 as the recommendations go for swg. I figure this is so the MA is reduced when lowering ph.

two things...your FC at 2.5 is a little low. Second, why are you trying to lower ta to 60? Are you experiencing frequent PH rise? If not your TA is OK where it is at.

thanks Purp...OK lowering TA to 60 should help combat your PH rise, although I am trying to now understand your original question...your TA is rising faster than your PH? Perhaps you have high TA fill water?

You also may want to try adding borates @ 50ppm.

yup...I'm sure Chemgeek or Jason can chime in...but unless you are adding High TA fill water, baking soda or borax, your TA should stay stable. Acid additions lower TA...and it looks like you have that figured out. Outside of the variables mentioned above, your TA should not be rising.

purptiger said:
My fill water has a ta of 200.
That is going to make things a little tricky in the spring and fall when relatively low humidity allows a fair bit of evaporation, which means adding water with high TA.

Do you have an auto fill system, or just manual water additions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.