Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

PH and TA

My current ph is 7.3 and my ta is 80. I am aerating my pool and running it about 8 hrs. right now. I know that the ph will go up and be around 7.6 within the next 24 hrs. At some point I will lower the ph to 7.2 again to bring my ta down to 60. This is in the recommended amount for a swg pool. I am running borates now. My latest test #s are: fc 2.5, ph 7.3, ta 80, ch 250, cya 40, salt 3800, and temp 86. I put 1.5 lbs. of cya in a sock and I am waiting for it to disolve.

My question is there any way to slow the ta down from going up as much as the ph? I want to keep the ta around 60 as the recommendations go for swg. I figure this is so the MA is reduced when lowering ph.
    12k Gal. Kidney IG pool (Built around 1964 screened enclosure?), Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite (Added 12/2007), 1 hp motor, Sta-Rite P2 pump, Hayward C900 paper cartridge filter, Resilience SWG PSC-3 SCC 25 Element, Dolphin Robatic Cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 11, Taylor K2006C, Lamotte Tracer PockeTester PH/TDS/SAL, purptiger

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH and TA

two things...your FC at 2.5 is a little low. Second, why are you trying to lower ta to 60? Are you experiencing frequent PH rise? If not your TA is OK where it is at.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes my ph goes up about 2-3x each week
    12k Gal. Kidney IG pool (Built around 1964 screened enclosure?), Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite (Added 12/2007), 1 hp motor, Sta-Rite P2 pump, Hayward C900 paper cartridge filter, Resilience SWG PSC-3 SCC 25 Element, Dolphin Robatic Cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 11, Taylor K2006C, Lamotte Tracer PockeTester PH/TDS/SAL, purptiger

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks Purp...OK lowering TA to 60 should help combat your PH rise, although I am trying to now understand your original question...your TA is rising faster than your PH? Perhaps you have high TA fill water?

You also may want to try adding borates @ 50ppm.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

5. Back To Top    #5

My fill water has a ta of 200. I have borates of 50 ppm. What I am trying to do is keep ph around 7.6 and ta around 60. Of course ph will go up due to higher temp ( FL), swg, and outgasing. Is it possible to have the ta stay around 60 while the ph goes up?

6. Back To Top    #6

yup...I'm sure Chemgeek or Jason can chime in...but unless you are adding High TA fill water, baking soda or borax, your TA should stay stable. Acid additions lower TA...and it looks like you have that figured out. Outside of the variables mentioned above, your TA should not be rising.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by purptiger
    My fill water has a ta of 200.
    That is going to make things a little tricky in the spring and fall when relatively low humidity allows a fair bit of evaporation, which means adding water with high TA.

Do you have an auto fill system, or just manual water additions?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Just manual water additions.