Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We need about 3" more water to get the pump running then it's time to ZAP this water but good - isn't it gross? I used to have an old pump and filter I could set up temporarily with hoses over the side while I filled/topped off at startup each spring so I could shock the you-know-what out of it and never have to see this - but alas - we got greedy and sold it on CL - now I wish I hadn't - yucky! The delays with weather, parts and reliable help around these parts resulted in the water becoming the mess you see before you. Give me a couple of days and all will be well with the world again and we will be back to the sparkly water I'm used to - but I do have to say, the new liner is not nearly as pretty and doesn't give the water the pretty Bahamas Blue look we used to enjoy. :( Oh well, I'm happy to HAVE a new liner and finally water in there to actually clean and look at!! My TF100 kit is ready

Attachments

• 100_1679.jpg
    100_1679.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 194
I honestly dont see the problem here. :-D You have your test kit, this very cool website and you know how to use both. :goodjob: I would use this time to go get some bleach and put on a pot of coffee , you may need both. :whip:

Grrrr - waiting for the water level to get high enough we decided to saddle up the horses and go riding - it would be good to go when we got back. NOT, my kids shut the water off right after we left. For Pete's Sake!!!! I so want to turn that pump on as I'll be gone to work from 6am - 4:30pm tomorrow. I guess I'll be up late tonight to be sure it goes.

Yep, Mo is running out there as we speak. It does help circulate but you guys know me - I have no patience!!

denisbaldwin said:
It's gonna be a challenge, but keep at it. I'm sure it will be clear in a week or two!

Oh it won't be nearly that long. Good shock plan with 24 hr circulation and it will be clear by the weekend. The pump has been running since 10pm last night - we are headed to get more bleach since it's raining again anyways. I shocked with 1# dichlor yesterday to add some CYA with PRJ running then last night with 1.42 gals bleach, shocked at 4:45 this morning before work with 3qt bleach as it was all I had left so heading out for more. Water has gone from green swamp to a clearish green tint and we can see the bottom nicely.

On a side note - this rain is NEEDED to aerate and get the PH up so I can dump acid in - my PH was already down at 7 but the Alkalinity is over the top as usual. I won't have to use my well to top off the pool those last couple inches anyway since it's monsoon season here.

9:30 pm - wowie - RAIN - another 2" fell into the pool since we we went to Walmart at around 6pm- it filled it up even more and I'm sure gave the added benefit of the aeration I needed! I just put 545 oz of 6% bleach in - not much change to the pressure on the pump so I'm not going to backwash until that starts to drop. I think I may dump a bit of DE in to catch some additional stuff as long as it has a ways to go on the pressure yet. I'll dump another 128oz bleach in just before bed and hit it again at 4:45 tomorrow morning before work. My yard is a swamp from all the rain and I'm a bit hesitant to stand out there ankle deep while it continues to thunder and lightening. Gee do you think Crocs are good insulaters??

So the pool is now a fairly clear light bluish green color - I've backwashed umpteen times to dump the junk which was nasty dark iron colored- I suppose a combo of the sequesterant gunked with iron and some algae. I've been super shocking a number of times each day, using DE in the filter right after each backwash, brushing and running Mo - our Pool Rover. The salt went in yesterday morning and the Aqua Rite is happily operating now at Super Chlorinate. I messed around working on getting our Alkalinity down. The water temps are creeping up from my 54 degree fill temp the other day to 71 now. I'm hoping we have something even prettier to look at by the weekend or Sunday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have read here that it is not recommended to use the SWG at Super chlorinate level as it uses up the cell too fast, that it is more economical to use bleach to get the chlorine boost and just use the SWG to maintain levels. But wait for better advice on that.

I generally have followed that advice for the last few years except when we going out of town. We are in fact going out of town until Sunday and we live 20 miles from town - nobody to add bleach while we are gone. It probably won't use up too much of the cell for just a couple of days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.