Skimmer door necessary?

May 22, 2009
Hello,
When a pool company closed my pool last year, they took the skimmer door off my IG pool. I opened my pool this weekend. I wasn't sure how it goes back on so I asked a guy in the biz and he mentioned the door is better left off on my pool because I'll see less junk on the surface by the skimmer. I tend to agree with him as I do see less so far around the skimmer. Is this ok to leave off? I do have to clean my skimmer basket more often it seems but I also cut down time skimming the pool.

The skimmer door helps keep skimmed stuff from getting back in the pool . Normally bugs and other items that float real good. Wont be a problem untill you swim and make a lot of waves. It wont hurt anything being left off , but you might see a difference when the pool is being used.

Another purpose of the skimmer flap is to increase the rate of flow right at the surface, which helps suck floating stuff into the skimmer. If you get enough skimming action without it, then no big deal.
--paulr

Good info! Ok, so I didn't see how they took it off. How does it snap back onto the skimmer? Do the tabs connect at the top (closer to pool deck) or bottom (closer to water). I see it has a side that says "pool side" so I shouldn't screw that part up at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.