Next Step??

P

PatG25

Had a leak in my pool this year (Hydrostatic Valve) and had to add about 14000 gallons to a 24000 gallon gunnite pool. So basically I am starting over with pool chemistry. This in only my second year owning this pool, and I only discovered this site a few days ago. Thank God!! The pool builder told me almost nothing.

Here are my readings:
FC - 0
PH - 7.2
Alkalinity - 80
Calcium - 150
Salt - 300
CYA - 20 or so (not sure)
Salt 300

Not to concerned about pH, since this is a new pool and I went through cases of acid last year to keep the pH down. I already put in one gallon of acid a couple of days ago because the level was very high.

I am using Leslies test kit, so I am not sure about the CYA level. Kind of hard to read. However, I put in 2 gallons of liquid stabilizer a couple of days ago. That didn't seem to do much. Back to the pool store; they gave me 1 lb of the granular stuff. Boy, is that hard to dissolve. Added this in yesterday.

Here is my question: I read that the granular stabilizer takes about 1 week to register. I also bought 3 lb of dichlor; I have stuff sitting in the garage to bring up the Calcium hardness and 400 lb of salt since I do have a SWG system. So right now I am planning on adding 1 lb of dichlor to bring up the Free chloring and CYA today. Then add the salt tomorrow and turn on the SWG system. Wait until Thursday and re-test CYA; go from there. Or should I add more than just 1 lb of dichlor; how much does it bring up the CYA level???

The other question I had; does it really make sense to raise the CYA into the 60-80 ppm range, even for SWG systems? Once you are too high the only way to bring it down is with replacing water. Seems kind of dangerous. Last year I had my SWG system at the lowest setting since it created a lot of chlorine. Of course I have no idea what the CYA reading were since the pool company never even told me about that one. Again, thank god for this site?

Thanks!!

According to pool calculator you would need 4 gallons of liquid stabilizer to go from zero to 70ppm. Since you've added liquid and granuals I would wait a week and then retest.

Add the dichlor and then test to see where your FC is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.