Vaccumed Pool, now filter gauge reads 2, sluggish backwash

May 23, 2010
I could really use some help here. Usually only I take care of the pool, BUT, I showed my husband and 13 year old son how to correctly vacuum the other night, and then yesterday I went to backwash and noticed the pump basket was loaded with leaves and debris, and now the pressure gauge on the DE filter reads 2-4, and my backwashing is sluggish.
I told them to make sure they scooped out the majority of the leaves before vacuuming....but I don't think that happened.

I have a Hayward Vertical Grid DE filter with a multiport valve, except that this valve only has :filter, waste, backwash and boost settings.

I think the filter may be clogged?, I added DE to it yesterday, but with the poor backwashing I don't know if it was effective. To me it doesn't feel like the returns are as forceful as usual. I relubed the o-ring on the pump basket, after I washed out the basket. I did notice the side of the basket was cracked, and I am picking up a new one today.

Should I take the filter apart, I think it may be clogged.. Any advice would help.

We have a 45k gallon, gunite/plaster pool with attached inground spa and waterfall feature. :shock:

Maybe you have a blockage somewhere...either between skimmer and pump or pump and filter? My psi dropped to 5 one time (usually runs 15) and I was having to prime the pump because the basket was only half full of water.....the problem was that my kreepy krawly sucked up some leaves/goo which went passed the pump basket and was in the opening between the pump and filter. I had felt that opening and didn't feel anything and then went back and pushed in a little further and felt the goo. I dug it out, and the psi went back up and the air worked itself out of the system and is now working fine. Hopefully it is a simple fix for you like it was for me.

If the hose was hooked up directly to the suction port, you may have clumps of debris stuck in the lines between the skimmer and the pump, too. Try a drain king to blow it out, if you have one. Or tightly wrap a rag around a garden hose and wedge it in tight then turn on the water.

If you get a lot of leaves on a regular basis you may want to invest in an inline leaf canister. It will catch the leaves and keep the pump basket clean while you vacuum. Yes, I would take the filter apart and completely remove all the old DE from the grids, especially if you have not done this in a while.

It's pretty easy to take the top of the filter off... you might do that, or just rotate and pull off the very top cap to take a look in there. it sounds like it may be clogged which might require you taking the filter out and giving it a good hosing. and yes, a leaf canister is a good thing.

Welcome to TFP!!

As the others posted, it's a blockage, either in the line or in the impeller of the pump.

A dirty filter would result in a high psi, not a low one!

If your multiport has the option (which it should :rant: ) put it on 'recirc' and see how the flow is, this takes a clogged filter out of the picture.

I hope you'll respond with your findings, so we can assist you more with this issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.