new AG pool with H2O this Monday or Tuesday

May 22, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Taking the plunge and getting my own small starter pool. Bought a package from a local pool dealer but am not having their pool installer put it up (going with someone who I was referred to instead). The water will be trucked in by a local water company this Monday or Tuesday. I want to start off as trouble-free as possible. The pool package came with a starter kit consisting of SunGuard multishock (6-1# bags), a bottle of SunGuard Algaecide 60 and a 5# pail of SunGuard 3" stabilized chlorinating tablets. I plan to follow the temporary/seasonal pool steps on this site even though my pool won't be drained at the end of the season. If that is wrong and someone will point me in the right direction, I will greatly appreciate it! The package came with a minimal testing kit (chlorine and pH only) so I just ordered the TF one but don't think it will be here in time for the water delivery.

Also I purchased the automatic chlorinator before finding this site and deciding I want to try the BBB method. Other than periods of time when I'll be away and unable to care for the pool, I assume that I don't use it as the bleach go directly into the pool water at the return? Any links to preventative advice for those times would be greatly appreciated too.

Welcome to TFP Sharon...you are probably borderline, but will do fine if you follow the seasonal pool guidance for now. Before we start, can you let us know what the active ingredient is in that shock you purchased? Also that algaecide 60 is most likely polyquat 60...we sometimes use that for winterizing but not needed for start-up.

You already took the most important step by ordering the test kits from tftestkits.net. Also, all is not lost on the inline chlorinator as that should come in handy when you are awy from the pool for a few days.

dmanb2b said:
can you let us know what the active ingredient is in that shock you purchased? Also that algaecide 60 is most likely polyquat 60

SHOCK
active: calcium hyperchlorite 47.6%, sodium telraboate pentahydrate 29.8
other: 22.6% (available chlorine 45%)

ALGAECIDE 60
active: poly(oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)
ethylene(dimethyliminio) etylene dichloride) 60%
inert: 40%

Good going Sharon.

Save the Cal-Hypo (shock packets) It'll come in handy one day. Save the algaecide It may come in handy too. Same for the 3" tablets. You can use them on extended aways.

You're doing the right thing using the temporary pool guidelines. Call the water delivery company and ask them where they're getting the water, then contact the water athority and find out how to get a water report. They're required to have one. That'll tell you where you're starting.

Check and adjust your pH first. Then you'll most likely need some chlorine in it. Add enough to get 2ppm in it. You'll also need some stabilizer (cyanuric acid) so go ahead and buy it and put it in as soon as you can start running the pump. In Harrisburg I'd probably shoot for a CYA level of 40. Put about 2/3rds the amount that the Pool Calc calls for and test it after a week and add more as required. Don't worry about testing the water for it before, it just wastes reagent, it will be zero.

Once you've got all that going on (it's not nearly as much as it sounds like) and your test lit arrives, go ahead and run a full set of tests and post the results back here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.