Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust pumped in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust pumped in pool

Hey guys,
    I just got my pool perfectly balanced for a pool party tomorrow. The weather report says its going to be cold though, so I turned on my pool heater for the first time (new house) to see if it worked. Of course it began pumping rust filled water in my pool. It only pumped for a minute or so. Do I need to do anything to fix this, or is it no big deal? Is the water safe to swim in?

2. Back To Top    #2

Cupertino, CA

Re: Rust pumped in pool

I'd vaccuum or scoop up whatever you could, just for appearance's sake, assuming the bits fell to the bottom. Or if there are flakes/chips rather than dust. I shouldn't think it would be harmful to the water.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

OK cool, thanks. I just wanted to make sure. It has been a couple hours and the cloudiness has all dissipated and the water clear. Not as clear as it was before I turned on the heater, but still clear. I don't see any flakes or anything, I suppose it was just dust.
    Thanks again, I appreciate the advice.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

Most likely that was most of the corrosion from the entire winter getting washed out of the heater at once.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School