Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP Please - Pentair Whisperflo 3/4hp wiring issue

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP Please - Pentair Whisperflo 3/4hp wiring issue

I have read all of the related posts on this topic, so maybe someone may have found the solution and never posted the answer. Purchased a replacement Pentair Whisperflo 3/4, that comes set up for 230, and I am trying to switch over to 115. I have followed the motor plate wiring diagram to the letter, but the motor only hums and slowly turns and trips the breaker. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help...

Split from highlighted thread.
    7000 gal IG, sand filter, pebble.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP Please - Pentair Whisperflo 3/4hp wiring issue

Did you switch the white and brown wire as depicted in the two wiring diagram?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Did you switch the white and brown wire as depicted in the two wiring diagram?
    Yes, switched the wires just as the motor plate wiring diagram shows, and as the photos in this previous post thread show. This is very frustrating to have a new pump not work as it should. I knew I was sunk when I found several other websites with the same problem as this pump. Back it goes to SPP on Monday. I could have purchased 2 cheap pre-wired 115v pumps for the cost of this lemon, but the wife was wanting a "quiet and efficient" pump. Sometimes better just means it costs more... Thanks for the reply!

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you tried calling Pentair and asking them about it? they may have the answer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Your problem is trying to run arc fault protection on a moter. try using ground fault.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

6. Back To Top    #6

Nope! Not working. Shipping back today. Going with another brand and have it pre-wired for my set up.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just installed my new WhisperFlo 3/4 hp pump yesterday, wired it up for low voltage following the diagram on the label and everything worked fine.

I did get a little nervous reading this thread before I started, but everything worked out.

Did you ever contact Pentair or did you just go with another pump?
    IG plaster, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, I went with another pump. I noted that the "new" Pentair Whisperflo pump did not have original packaging, or a manual. It was probably a second or return from the seller. Oh well. New 2 speed 1 HP Heyward Power Flow Matrix is now in place and working fine. Hope to save some $ on the electric bill this summer.