Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CC at .5 Acceptable or Not?

1. Back To Top    #1

CC at .5 Acceptable or Not?

I know this is not as big of an issue as some of you here. On Monday I tested and my CC's were .5 . I have never had any CC's in the past two years. I did shock our pool up to 22 on Monday night, but with lack of TF refills and rainy weather I did not get a chance to retest until last night. Once again, CC's were at .5, FC was at 9.5. The water is crystal clear though. I do not want to let this get out of control so early in the season...that is if there is anything to get out of control.

Should I shock again tonight that I have my TF Test refills or is .5 acceptable?

DH will be cleaning the filter tonight since we have not cleaned it since we opened on April 30.

CYA - 55
    PH 7.6
    TA - 95

18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: CC at .5 Acceptable or Not?

Sometimes the CC will jump up to .5 and then go away. That's nothing to be worried about. I think shocking was not needed but it didn't hurt anything. The best way to know if you need to shock is to do an overnight chlorine drop test.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

New Jersey

You can also do a FAS-DPD test on a 25ml sample where each drop of reagent is 0.2 ppm. That 0.5 might really be 0.2 or 0.6 (assuming you are testing with 10 ml sample). Maybe .2 would read as zero on the 10ml test, but then a .8 would read as .5. However it works, at the one drop level moving to the more precise test would provide better information before deciding to shock.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

There is nothing to worry about and nothing that needs doing. CC at 0.5 or lower is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School