Algae in a half-drained pool.

Aug 2, 2007
Earlier this week I awoke to a green pool! What I have always been told was to drain the pool, scrub with bleach, and fill it back up. But while reading your wonderful forum, I read that I didn't have to drain it. So, my question for you, do I go ahead and finish draining it and scrub, or fill it back up and let the bleach do the work for me?

Thanks, Lorraine.

lorraine3579 said:
What I have always been told was to drain the pool, scrub with bleach, and fill it back up.

Wow...thats gotta be expensive, refilling every time it turns green. Tip: Don't take pool advice from the water company. ;)

Unless you are doing repairs, acid washing, painting, etc, you never have to completely drain a pool. Remember water doesn't change into something else...it's still H2O. You just need to get all the junk that's IN the water OUT. There are people on this forum who I'm sure have had the same water for decades.

Learn to keep it balanced, and you wont needlessly drain again!

thank you. we are trying the BBB. also cleaned bottom of pool. we will see what happens. it looks better to me already, but my daughter doesnt think so. thanks again. if i need more help, ill be back. lorraine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.