Polaris 280 running slow

crabboy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Suwanee, GA
My polaris 280 has been non stop for 3 years now. Recently it has had problems running slow. I took a look and noticed the inner wheel gear was worn. I replaced the two wheels and the bearings on both wheels. Now the wheels spin slowly, but if I stop the wheels movement, they are slow to start again, if they start at all. I can give them a little thump and they will start again. What is the most likely cause for this? Do I need to start digging into his guts to replace any worn parts?

What are the likely culprits in a 3 year old polaris?

TIA

Did you install the new w\gear all the way into the teeth on the wheels? Because you're not supposed to do that. They should be 3/4's the way engaged. Also did you check the turbine's bearings? And make sure that none of the jets are plugged with debris.

One last thing is to check the pressure relief valve on the wall connector. Make sure it's not broken or letting any water escape.

My 380 slowed down like that and it was the pressure relief valve. The cap (plug? disk?) had broken and a lot of water was exiting out the side instead of down the hose. There was still a lot through the hose, but not the normal amount. I was able to put my foot over the port at the wall connection to stop most of the flow out that valve and the Polaris started moving normally again. Cheap fix, easy to do, local store stocked the part.

Thanks for the replies.

I felt around the relieve valve and there is a little water squeezing out around it. I recall opening that a bit to slow down the revolutions last year. The pressure out of the unit it still excellent, the tail whips, rear jet squirts and still sucks well. I’ll try to tighten that down to see if it helps.

I threw him back in and he’s been cleaning for the past two days and keeping the pool as clean as ever. I just have been running it longer since it seems to stop on simple places it had trucked past before, like a the base of the steps. It is still climbing walls and getting to the water line, so I’m hesitant to pull him apart just to check the parts. I know one I have it in pieces it will be down for the count until the new parts come in.

Do the turbine bearings usually wear at the same rate as the wheel bearings? I’m going to buy new bearings for the remaining wheel and the idler pulley, so I’ll likely just replace the turbine bearings as well. How does the turbine hold up after three years? Does that often need replacing?

Another thing I noticed is the idler pulley does not contact the two wheels very well. The spring loaded lever is all the way engaged and still barley touches the tires. Is that from worn tires of a worn pulley? I may just purchase a new pulley and tires to cover all my bases.

Are there any other high wear parts I should look at as well? My local pool shop changes an arm and a leg for parts, so I’m buying them off the internet, where shipping on multiple purchases is killing me, so I’d like to get everything I can at once, or twice now.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.