drain fitting problem

gb3

May 22, 2010
Northern VT
I just got a new above ground pool and this site has been a great help to me since I ran across it a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, my first post is asking for advice on a problem.

New 24' pool was installed 2 days ago. Pool was 2/3 filled and the filter and pump were hooked up but still dry when the installers left. We filled the pool, and I found that the sand filter was leaking at the drain fitting. Filter is a STA-RITE T-210WF. I hand tightened the drain cap as much as I dared to but it still leaked. So I drained the water and removed the cap. The threaded male fitting on the filter housing is not squared off, and a white pipe sticks out ~1/16" past the end of the fitting. Either the o-ring doesn't seat well enough because the fitting is so uneven, or that pipe doesn't allow the cap to close down. Or both...

Any opinions on how clean these fittings should be on a new filter? I'm torn between filing it down myself to get the drain cap to seat properly, and being a PITA until the pool store sends installer back to replace the filter.

gb3,

Welcome! The forum is all about helping solve problems.

I'm not familiar with that fitting. Others probably are and will chime in soon. Short of that, a pic will help a lot.

Just a thought, could it be as simple as using pipe dope on the threads?

pic attached. The o-ring is same diameter as the threads on the fitting. The o-ring looks fat enough that the white pipe shouldn't interfere, but I dunno. This seal depends on the o-ring in the cap squishing down neatly on the flat flange part of the fitting. I tried trimming the uneven threads back, but still couldn't tighten that thing down enough to keep it from leaking.

\edit - for scale: the male fitting is 2" across

Attachments

• IMG_0903-2.jpg
    IMG_0903-2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 39
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.