May 31, 2008
North Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All:

Our pool is a Sylvan, built in 1988. Originally white with bullnose clay brick coping. Circa 2005, it was replastered to dark with paver type coping. We purchased the house in 2006. Since then, egg-shell cracking (20 this year) began and proliferated, and some plaster popped off. So we hired a company to replaster the pool. Owner is very experienced and knowledgeable.

Probably 40% of the shallow end plaster was chipped off and removed. Replaster (subcontracted) was complete late on May 14th, pool was filled by evening of the 16th: 30,000gal. We were not instructed to introduce acid as we filled the pool (as I've read elsewhere). After pool was filled, I believe pool company used only standard pool start up chemicals: algaecide, shock, and the like. They didn't have many packages.

Water chem on May 18th: pH = 7.5; Cl = 0; Alkalinity = 110; Hardness = 150; Water temp was 68°F.

Heavy calcium residual existed from the start; pool company owner told us to brush 2x day and that the calcium would disappear. It's reduced a bit; not gone. His assessment yesterday was to go heavy acid on the pH, brush for 3 days and rebalance the water ....the stuff that appears to be standard start up procedures for replastered pools....but 8 1/2 days after replaster and 7 days after filling.

He said the alternative is to drain the pool and acid wash. Based on what I've read (now), I believe that would be the more sure way of clearing the surface.

What opinions might you have as to successfully obtaining a uniform, dark surface?

Attached photos are of the new plaster on May 18th.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Shallow end overview.JPG
    Shallow end overview.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Heavier staining.JPG
    Heavier staining.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Spa surface.JPG
    Spa surface.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 76
I think its refered to as a acid bath when the pool stays full, and that with brushing may correct the issue. I am not sure if its less destructive to the plaster than acid washing . The dark color may be making the surface look worse than it truely is.

Should your CH be so low on a newly plastered pool? I would think the water would want to draw out the calcium to compensate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.